Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Dress Anxiety!

I am picking up my dress on Thursday! I'm excited yet anxious at the same time! I'm not getting married until August 16,2014 and I bought it early because there was a sale! I didn't anticipate buying anything but I couldn't pass it up! Now I have to store it until next June!!!! Anyone else go through the anxiety of storing it? Any recommendations!

Re: Dress Anxiety!

• I bought my dress 18 months before my wedding and had to store it at home (bought a sample gown that I loved). I did some research online, and everything I found said to use a flat white sheet to wrap it in, then store it in an under the bed soft storage bag. I used one like this from Target. I threw some cedar balls in there (no sharp corners to accidentally snag on anything, and they don't smell like mothballs do), and I pulled it out once a month, checked it over, and hung it up for a day or so to let the wrinkles fall out. I kept it under the bed in one of our spare rooms, and when I took it for my fittings, my seamstress said I did a good job of storing it because it was still in tip-top condition.
  • cma212cma212 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    Thank you so much for the advice! It made picking it up today a little less anxiety ridden! It's in a breathable garment bag hanging in my sisters closet for now. I bought a white flat sheet to wrap it in! I just have to go back over and do that this week!
  • Glad to hear you're feeling better about it!! Are you planning to keep it hanging in the garment bag? I would recommend not having it hanging for a year, because the weight of the fabric, especially if there is any beading, can cause the fabric to stretch and lose its shape.
  • I bought my dress shortly after my engagement so I've had it for a little over a year now. I've just left it hanging in the dress bag in my room and have only taken it out for my dress fittings last month. It still looks beautiful and just as perfect as when I first bought it. I wouldn't worry about it! :)
  • I just bought my dress Sunday, it will come in about 2 months but my wedding is not until June 2014. I also bought it on sale, and am anxious because I still could have kept looking. However, I just keep reminding myself how I felt when I put that dress on. It was the one, I loved it. All week, I have been doubting my decision, but I look at pictures of the dress and feel better.
  • cma212cma212 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    Thanks guys! I have had my dress for atleast two weeks. I laid it flat for awhile, and draped it with a white sheet. I was so attempted to try it on, but my sister said no! I plan on atleast laying it flat every so often, and kind of checking on it to make sure its still in order. I think it's also my way of visiting my dress!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards