Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Commute from ceremony to reception

We would like to have our ceremony at our church, but the reception would be about a 20 to 30 min drive. Too inconvenient? Not a good idea? Guests won't notice? What are your thoughts! Thanks in advance.

Re: Commute from ceremony to reception

• Actually, that's probably the outer limit of the time it could reasonably take to get from the ceremony to the reception venue.  I'd make sure that the venue is ready to host guests as soon as the ceremony is over, because someone might arrive early.
  • I think this is fine. Depending on your location (city versus rural) people often expect a bit of a drive from one location to the next. I agree with PP though that you should make sure the reception venue is ready to host people as soon as they start arriving - there's nothing I dislike more than having to drive from ceremony to reception AND occupy myself for awhile due to a planned "gap."
  • 30 minutes is about the outside limit of courtesy in my urban/suburban area.  I always feel a little more accepting of a drive this length if I know that the bride or groom is having their wedding at their childhood/family church, though.  If it were just at, like, a random wedding chapel, I would wonder why you didn't find a place closer to the reception site.  But 20-30 minutes sounds fine to me (as long as a cocktail hour is waiting for your guests)!
  • Ditto PP's. As long as the ACTUAL drive time is 30 minutes during the time of day/day of week you're having it, you're ok, but I think 30 is the max as long as the reception starts as soon as the first guests arrive.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thank you ladies for the feedback. I will make sure cocktail hour is ready for my guests arrival. There are other venues closer to the church, but this one is unlike the other ones, it is amazing!
  • 30 minutes is my soft limit. An hour would be a hard limit.
  • Nt85 said:
    Thank you ladies for the feedback. I will make sure cocktail hour is ready for my guests arrival. There are other venues closer to the church, but this one is unlike the other ones, it is amazing!
    Honestly, if there are venues closer to the church, I think the commute is too long. It's one thing to ask your guests to drive 30-40 minutes when there aren't any other options.  It's another thing when they have to pass other places you could have easily held your reception along the way.
  • ShiaShia member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    It is easy to say "pick a closer venue", but what if they couldn't use any of the other venues? The other venues could cost more or be booked by other events. Do what you think is best for you and your budget. If you can only afford a venue a 20-30 minute drive from your church. I say, go for it.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I would be cool with this, but have cocktail hour ready!

I have attended a wedding where the ceremony was at a chapel in town, and the reception was at a golf and country club on the outer limits of town- yeah, probably around a half hour drive. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards