August 2013 Weddings

Dog in the ceremony?

Hi ladies!  So my fiance and I have been debating whether or not to include our dog in our ceremony.  I really want her there...she's absolutely adorable and our baby!  But my fiancé and my mom are worried about what happens after the ceremony for the reception.  The ceremony part isn't really an issue...she would be a 2nd flower girl with my 1.5 year old flower girl and 7 month old ring bearer that are being pulled in a wagon.  But what should we do for after?  The ceremony & reception are in the same location & all outside so dogs are allowed, but I don't want to be worried about her all night.  I feel bad asking someone at the wedding to watch her because they want to have fun too.  I was thinking of paying my neighbor (who owns a dog grooming business, so she's great with dogs & knows ours) to come get her and take her home.  Is that weird?  What do you ladies think?  Has anyone had their dog in the ceremony before?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dog in the ceremony?

• Hmmm, I am a big dog lover, but this sounds tricky to me unless your dog is extremely well trained.  I would be nervous about having it in the wagon with kids that young, for one.  Would their parents be okay with it?  Would the kids be scared?  If you do ending up having your dog there I think paying someone to pick her up early is a very a good idea.

Not meaning to be a nay-sayer, just trying to think ahead of the potential problems here.  Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • I agree with Xstatic.  If your dog is very well trained and/or you're a COMPLETELY go with the flow type of person and will laugh it off if something "unexpected" happens, then go for it! Animals can be a really cute touch, but they can also cause a lot of stress, especially if they, themselves, are stressed and/or excited.  Even the most well-trained dogs can be unpredictable.  

If you do decide to include her, definitely have someone pick her up and take her home after the ceremony to save both you and your dog (and possibly some guests) the added stress.  If you decide not to, you may miss her, but she won't know the difference and will still love you. :-)  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards