Pennsylvania-Central

Dog at the wedding?

Hi ladies!  So my fiance and I have been debating whether or not to include our dog in our ceremony.  I really want her there...she's absolutely adorable and our baby!  But my fiancé and my mom are worried about what happens after the ceremony for the reception.  The ceremony part isn't really an issue...she would be a 2nd flower girl with my 1.5 year old flower girl and 7 month old ring bearer that are being pulled in a wagon.  But what should we do for after?  The ceremony & reception are in the same location & all outside so dogs are allowed, but I don't want to be worried about her all night.  I feel bad asking someone at the wedding to watch her because they want to have fun too.  I was thinking of paying my neighbor (who owns a dog grooming business, so she's great with dogs & knows ours) to come get her and take her home.  Is that weird?  What do you ladies think?  Has anyone had their dog in the ceremony before?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dog at the wedding?

• If you are crazy than that makes two of us! ha. Our bridal party consists of 1 MOH, 1 BM, and 2 dogs. We are still looking for ceremony places ect. My current plan is to have 1 dog sitting with FI up front and my MOH will walk the other one down the isle. Then at the the end me, fi, and our two dogs will walk back together.

We haven't picked a site for anything yet, so this could all change. I am planning on renting a van or school bus to drive all of our friends back to the hotel, so no one has to worry about driving drunk. I plan on asking this person to take the dogs back to my house or to a pet friendly hotel after the ceremony.
  • Please hire someone to either watch the dogs, or take the dogs back to your home after your ceremony/photos. Personally I'm not a fan of dogs in weddings because animals are unpredictable, I wouldn't want to risk them damaging something, them running off after a squirrel, barking/growling at a guest. But if you choose to have the dog there, you should offer to pay a non-guest to watch them.
  • I would agree that the best course of action for you and your pet is to have someone take the dog home after the ceremony - and during rehearsal and the ceremony, make sure to have a designated  "dog handler" (someone NOT in the wedding party) to make sure your pooch is watered, walked, and under control during his important duties.  :)
  • Thanks for all your suggestions!  Cheapbrideincentpa-I love your idea of walking back down the aisle with the dogs...so cute!  I think we're going to ask my neighbor to pick up the dog & take her back home.  I'm not too worried about what she'll do there (I mean I do have a 1.5 year old and 7 month old in the wedding, so it's already unpredictable), she loves people, and we'll probably keep her on a leash the whole time anyways.  Thanks again ladies!!!!...always helpful!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards