Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Receiving Line: Your Thoughts? (XP: Reception Ideas)

Right after the ceremony, we're having a cocktail hour. I assumed that the groom and I would just join our guests for the cocktail hour and mingle, but then someone said, "No, you need to do a receiving line." 

We'll have only 30 guests, so I'm sure we'll interact with all or most of them during the cocktail hour anyway (and certainly later on during dinner). Need we have a receiving line? I really don't like the concept, although I can undertsand it if it's a huge wedding and the bride and groom are not likely to personally greet each guest otherwise. Did you have/are you having one?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Receiving Line: Your Thoughts? (XP: Reception Ideas)

• Options
    My cousin didn't do one because she didn't like the hassel and there were some people at the party she did not want to have to talk to. 

I'm not doing one for the same reason. It's such a hassel and there's no real reason to have one. We plan on doing what my cousin did and while everyone is eating, we'll walk around and talk to guests at each table. That way we face people in groups.
  • Options
    I haven't seen a reception line in years. If you don't like don't do it.
    As the previous poster the lately I've seen the brise and groom going to each table wich I think is really better.
  • Options
    We had 80 guests and did not do a receiving line.  I think it's more personal to meet and greet during the cocktail hour.  
  • Options
    It's fine to skip the receiving line, but you definitely need to make sure you greet every single guest.  If you can do this at cocktail hour, or by table-hopping, then that's great.

As for PP's cousin, not wanting to talk to certain people is a horrible excuse for not greeting guests and thanking them for attending!   It's okay to greet guests in groups, and that could alleviate potentially awkward situations, but still, every guest must get "face-time" with the B&G.
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_receiving-line-your-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:2f89aa28-ae54-473b-b7b2-d5f36b38ae4fPost:a2b03a93-7167-4059-bbb3-78fc5d9565a6">Re: Receiving Line: Your Thoughts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My cousin didn't do one because she didn't like the hassel and there were some people at the party she did not want to have to talk to.  I'm not doing one for the same reason. It's such a hassel and there's no real reason to have one. We plan on doing what my cousin did and while everyone is eating, we'll walk around and talk to guests at each table. That way we face people in groups.
    Posted by catloverd[/QUOTE]

<div>Your cousin was extremely rude. I hope you're not going to follow her example and not greet people that you invited to your wedding. Please talk to <em>everyone. </em>If you don't want to do that, don't invite them.</div>
  • Options
    We did not have a receiving line.  Whoever "someone" is, thank them and move forward with your plans as is.  We had 45 guests and found plenty of time to mix and mingle.  H also made sure to thank everyone and during his toast; my toast was a tribute to my aunt and uncle, who were celebrating their 56th anniversary (but I digress).

I think you're going to have a great celebration!  Congratulations.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_receiving-line-your-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:2f89aa28-ae54-473b-b7b2-d5f36b38ae4fPost:e8ea1ac8-11f6-4b55-b725-77fa64fcf39a">Re: Receiving Line: Your Thoughts? (XP: Reception Ideas)</a>:
    [QUOTE]We did not have a receiving line.  Whoever "someone" is, thank them and move forward with your plans as is.  We had 45 guests and found plenty of time to mix and mingle.  H also made sure to thank everyone and during his toast; my toast was a tribute to my aunt and uncle, who were celebrating their 56th anniversary (but I digress). I think you're going to have a great celebration!  Congratulations.
    Posted by Lisa50[/QUOTE]
    Ha! Thanks, Lisa. "Someone" is a person who is helping us with the coordinating (not a professional) and she has definite ideas about what we "should" have, most of which we have been politely rejecting..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We did a receiving line, as they are quite common in my circle - I've never been to a wedding without one.  If you skip the receiving line, make sure you personally greet each guest at the cocktail hour or during dinner by doing table visits.  We personally prefered a receiving line to table visits, but with the size of your wedding, I think that table visits or speaking to each guest during the cocktail hour would work well.
  • Options
    Our wedding is approximately the same size as yours, OP, and we are doing table visits/walking around to greet all the guests during our pre-ceremony cocktail hour. I don't like the idea of receiving lines, though I've never actually been through one at any wedding I've attended.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards