Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Early morning ceremony

2»

Re: Early morning ceremony

• Options
    SVikeSVike member
    First Comment

The breakfast isn't really a meal, its a snack. It is essentially our cocktail hour but its so early that we're serving breakfast type foods instead. And honestly, I've never seen a cocktail hour that was actually an hour, they've always been 2-3 when the ceremony and reception are at the same venue and longer if they aren't. Maybe thats just the area I live in.

• Options
    SVikeSVike member
    First Comment
    Lots of big cabins, some small ones and a motel. Also spaces for RVs and tents if for some reason you want to tent there.
  • Options
    SVikeSVike member
    First Comment
    We do have a cocktail hour with refreshments. Thats what the food is during that time. And we also planned some entertainment for people who want it during that time. How is that rude?
  • Options
     I stand by what I said about being done with it by the time the reception actually starts, especially for a daytime event. Our ceremony was at 10:30,followed by a cocktail hour and then lunch by 11:30. The whole event was over by 2:00. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options

It's called a cocktail HOUR because it's an HOUR long. They don't last 2-2/12 hours. Why don't you do a brunch an hour after to allow for your pictures.

If you insist on being rude to your guests, you can probably plan on most of them skipping your ceremony.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    See, I wouldn't want to stay in a cabin. So I'd be declining your offer, as well.  And probably decline everything because I wouldn't want to get up at 6am for a wedding where I'd then have to snack for 2 hours afterwards before the actual reception started.
  • Options
    SVike said:

The breakfast isn't really a meal, its a snack. It is essentially our cocktail hour but its so early that we're serving breakfast type foods instead. And honestly, I've never seen a cocktail hour that was actually an hour, they've always been 2-3 when the ceremony and reception are at the same venue and longer if they aren't. Maybe thats just the area I live in.

Also, this is a problem.  9am on a Saturday is breakfast time for a lot of people.  Plus, they're driving for 1.5 - 2 hours on the way there.  So when are they supposed to eat?  So now they're skipping breakfast, being given a snack, and having to stand around waiting for actual food.  I just don't think it works.  I'd either move the ceremony back or have a breakfast reception. Not something I've been to, but it's better than make everyone wait around for hours.
  • Options
    QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2013

Ugh.  9am start time, an hour long ceremony, and cocktail hour that lasts 2 or 2 1/2 hours?  I'm sorry, this is in the rude camp.   Take most of your photos before the ceremony and finish up your photos within ONE hour after the ceremony.  

Have breakfast items, maybe pastries or bagles available immediately after your ceremony, since people will have been traveling since 7-8 that morning and maybe mimosas.   Your reception should start no later than 11:00am.  (9-10 ceremony, and ONE hour cocktail/social hour so you can finish photos). 

• Options
    OP, is there any way you could have the ceremony at dusk instead of dawn?

Anniversary

• Options
    OP, think of it this way....your idea is getting more flak than the idea a few threads down that involves a wedding ceremony as the climax of an erotic variety show. You need to rethink this plan. Push the ceremony to 10:00, tell the pastor to keep things short, and limit cocktail hour to 1 hour.
  • Options
    For the love of god, why do people shun brunches?  Brunch would be a lovely elegant solution here.  It would be perfect, the guests wouldn't have to sit around and grumble, nobody goes home thinking the bride and groom are rude, and can start at any time you want (psst, 11).  You can even have alcohol! 

Brunch!  For the love of all that is good and pure in this world, brunch! 

Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options

I agree with Linger.  I would have the breakfast snacks out prior to the ceremony so that people can grab a doughnut or bagel to munch on during the ceremony.  Then you should only have an hour after the ceremony to take pictures.  2-3 hours is absolutely ridiculous and rude to your guests no matter what type of "entertainment" you have planned.  They came to your wedding to see you not some person teaching them a dance.

Have your pre-ceremony snacks/drinks, 1.5 hour long ceremony, 1 hour cocktail hour, and then start your reception at 11:30

But in all reality, unless you were a very close family member or really good friend I would just decline the whole thing, especially if I had to drive 1.5-2 hours to get to your venue that early on a Saturday.

• Options
    LMc0322 said:
    I just came here to say: Shit, I love brunch.
    Me too.  Best meal of the day. ;-)
  • Options
    Another brunch fan here.  Especially if booze is involved.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards