Snarky Brides

Your Childhood Summers

2»

Re: Your Childhood Summers

• I came for the candy!  I was lucky enough to grow up in a neighborhood with lots of kids and no fences so we essentially had a giant backyard that we could roam about and play games in.  Kick the can, ghost in the graveyard, every variation of tag, slip n slides, running through sprinklers, and water balloon fights were some of my favorites.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • More candy:

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • r&c14r&c14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    We lived close enough to one of the public pools that we walked there almost every day. On weekends we would go to the creek or lake with family for the day or to camp all weekend. We also had a lot of kids on the block so we had a lot of fun. Hide and seek, flashlight tag, red light green light, and simon says.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Lol, I had a 5 square mile territory I roamed barefoot. It included a creek, several abandoned farms with awesome broken down buildings and silos, and more fields than sense.
    And we weren't childhood friends because...?!?! Sounds a lot like my summers, except we didn't have any abandoned farms in our "neighborhood." I can guarantee you I'd have explored them though if we had. I love snooping around abandoned buildings (which is why FI and I are using a couple of them as engagement photo settings).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • #1- Slip n Slides were the main activity at both my college and graduate school graduation parties. Had the house we rented had enough space, we would have used it a month ago at my bachelorette party. I plan on NEVER being too old.
    #B- They are like $15 now. Totally worth it.
    #Three- I was on the beach every day of the summer from when school got out until Labor day, 8am to 6pm. My mom worked and just asked that we called to check in with her every couple hours. We spent nights walking around our neighborhood with friends and playing "knock out" on the basketball court next to my house. Take. Me. Back!
    #iv- image
  • I am positive I would break myself if I went on a slip-n-slide.
    My first encounter with a slip-n-slide ended painfully. No broken bones or blood, but I definitely got the wind knocked out of me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited June 2013

Lol, I had a 5 square mile territory I roamed barefoot. It included a creek, several abandoned farms with awesome broken down buildings and silos, and more fields than sense.

And we weren't childhood friends because...?!?! Sounds a lot like my summers, except we didn't have any abandoned farms in our "neighborhood." I can guarantee you I'd have explored them though if we had. I love snooping around abandoned buildings (which is why FI and I are using a couple of them as engagement photo settings).

Lol mostly because Iived in the middle of nowhere abd the rest of humanity had the sense to live elsewhere. The closest neighborhood was a half hour drive.

That is awesome that you took engagement photos in old buildings!! I wish I'd thought of that!
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Did anyone else do a shitton of lemonade stands? Why were those so fun? I always, always stop any time I see one.
  •  

AddieL73 said:
    I went to Girl Scout Camp, too. I even remember this: Make new friends, but keep the old; one is silver and the other gold!

Wait, that's a real saying? I thought that was something I heard on Futurama.

We use to go camping at Pinecrest Lake every summer. I took FI there once while visiting my dad and it looked smaller but it brought back some many memories.

We use to play outside or ride out bikes around until the ice cream truck came by.

• Ah childhood, some of my favorite times.  I had a lake at my house so I spent a ton of time swimming, catching frogs or tadpoles, playing in the creek, bird watching, riding on our paddle boat ect.  I also spent hours making up stories about the lives of my toy horses, both outside and inside.  I also did this with my friends.  I would run around with my friends outside and pretend we were horses.  With my brothers and neighbors we played camp where we would make lesson plans on how to do stuff like skateboarding or gardening.  We also played in our woods as Indians, and we made bows and arrows.  I had so many imaginary games.  I would also "run away" AKA take some of my stuff and climb up a tree and hang out there for hours, mostly when I was made at my mom.  I also read a lot.   My family also went hiking and to Lake Tahoe a lot, and I loved that.  Play on our playground with my brothers or on our tire swing.  Racing our bikes around and trying to do tricks. 

So many good times.

Pele- I can identify with roaming around the country side. Though we didn't have 5 acres, we did have enough that I explored quite a bit :)
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• oh geez... let's see, we pretty much spent the majority of the days in our pool, or at a friends house in their pool; or we would be at dance class since competitions or master classes/camp were happening throughout the summer.  My brothers and I would save our money and then ride our bikes to Mcdonalds and thought it was the coolest thing ever.  Definitely played games with the neighborhood kids (I forgot about ghost in the graveyard-totally played that).  The best was War (kind of like capture the flag, but no flag you just had to get to the next destination without getting caught).  At night we would play flashlight tag.

I am depressed that I am sitting at a desk wishing I was playing games, running a kool aid stand or swimming in a pool somewhere...

Anniversary
  •  

AddieL73 said:
    I went to Girl Scout Camp, too. I even remember this: Make new friends, but keep the old; one is silver and the other gold!

We use to go camping at Pinecrest Lake every summer. I took FI there once while visiting my dad and it looked smaller but it brought back some many memories.

We use to play outside or ride out bikes around until the ice cream truck came by.

Yep!  It's a song!

"Make new friends, but keep the old.  One is silver and the other gold.

Circle's round, and has no end.  That's how long I want to be your friend.

I have one hand, and you have the other.  Put them together and we have each other"

I think the last two "verses" are flip flopped in order, but it's been so long that I can't remember :)

• I have so, so many childhood memories!!!!

When I was little my parents had a camper and we would pack it up Friday during the day, hitch it up to the Ford Bronco and pick my dad up from work and go camping in the area. We did this until I was 10 years old. My parents bought a summer house that year and we would spend weekends up there after that. I met my ex-bf/bff that summer at camp. Awwww. We would hang out (along with a bunch of other kids) together on the weekends, and this continued into our early 20's.

During the week I would swim in my pool while my mom worked from home. This was not very safe since she was a medical transcriptionist, had headphones on but had the window open. I asked her about thsi recently and she said "well I would hear you scream if something happened for Christ's sake". Oh mom lol.

My first summer camp was 9 years old, it was sleep-away on a lake, my mom made me try horseback riding, and I freaked out. For a couple of years I would go to an oceanography camp in Maine (I wanted/still want to be a marine biologist) and it was awesome. The first couple of years after my parents bought the summer house, they shipped me to camp there so I wasn't up their asses during the renovation projects.

I'm so having a party where we're playing childhood outdoor games, what an awesome idea!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  •  

AddieL73 said:

Yep!  It's a song!

"Make new friends, but keep the old.  One is silver and the other gold.

Circle's round, and has no end.  That's how long I want to be your friend.

I have one hand, and you have the other.  Put them together and we have each other"

I think the last two "verses" are flip flopped in order, but it's been so long that I can't remember :)

I remember the song :) I was in GS from grades 1-5.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Lol, I had a 5 square mile territory I roamed barefoot. It included a creek, several abandoned farms with awesome broken down buildings and silos, and more fields than sense.
    Lol mostly because Iived in the middle of nowhere abd the rest of humanity had the sense to live elsewhere. The closest neighborhood was a half hour drive. That is awesome that you took engagement photos in old buildings!! I wish I'd thought of that!
    We haven't taken them yet, but when we do, two of the places we're going to are an abandoned farmhouse (sorry the pictures are kind of big, not sure how to make them smaller):

and an abandoned battery factory:

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • snippet17 said:
    jarednmegan I love those pictures. Specially the cool looking stairs.
    I know...so many possibilities. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Lol mostly because Iived in the middle of nowhere abd the rest of humanity had the sense to live elsewhere. The closest neighborhood was a half hour drive.

That is awesome that you took engagement photos in old buildings!! I wish I'd thought of that!

We haven't taken them yet, but when we do, two of the places we're going to are an abandoned farmhouse (sorry the pictures are kind of big, not sure how to make them smaller):

That's awesome! AW them when they are done,please!
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• I know the slip n slide ship has sailed, but now that I know how to post gifs, I really wanted to add this one....

That's awesome! AW them when they are done,please!

Will do :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • smp87 said:

I appreciate you so much for this.

I know the slip n slide ship has sailed, but now that I know how to post gifs, I really wanted to add this one....

I'm dying. Stop it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards