May 2014 Weddings

Bridesmaid dress questions

1. When should you start shopping for bridal party dresses? I'm going in for my dress in September. Should it be around that time?

2. Are you a fan of having a different touch on the maid-of-honor's dress than the others? It seems kinda mean, but I think it's nice.

Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!

Re: Bridesmaid dress questions

• I personally am not having any bridesmaids, but the six-month mark seems to be a reasonable time to order dresses. If you are ordering through a salon, then check with them to see what their delivery times are like.

As for style, I am a much bigger fan of each bridesmaid being able to chose her own style given a color (or range of color), fabric and length. That way each lady is comfortable and feels beautiful in something she chooses (and will maybe wear again this way).

This, especially in cases where you have BMs with vastly different body types.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with the others: allowing bridesmaids to pick their dresses is nice, especially if they have different body types, are of different heights, etc.

All my bridesmaids want to go shopping together, which means we will probably have to go by the end of August.  Between the three of them and me, we are attending school in three different cities so it is going to be next to impossible to meet up otherwise.  I think that as long as dresses are ordered 5+ months out, there shouldn't be a problem.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I appreciate the advice. I do like that idea Birdie2014, it's different!
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • I'm bringing my girls to try on dresses next month and I'm letting them pick the same fabric, same color, same designer, but silhouette and neckline is up to them! They seem to really like that idea because of comfort levels and body types.

My salon told me as long as they are all ordered by November I should be fine!

• I am ordering my dress in September, so I'm sure shortly after that I will be getting my girls together to look at dresses. We are having a bright colored wedding, with pinks and yellows. I know I want pink bridesmaids dresses, and had considered the idea of having my MOH in a slightly different color than the rest. Maybe a little brighter pink, and the rest in a more blush/light pink color.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards