October 2013 Weddings

engagement ring/wedding band - switching hands?

So FI and I went to go order our wedding bands today! We are having them modeled after his grandparents' wedding bands, which have engraving on the outside that reads "No Greater Love" and also has 3 symbols: a cross, a dove, and two circles representing the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Since the engraving pretty much mandates that the band be wider, my engagement ring won't fit on the same finger! So I think I will be wearing the band on my left hand and my e-ring on my right after the wedding.

Has anyone else done or known someone that has done this? And what will your wedding bands look like? I wish I had taken pics of his grandparents' rings, they are now at the jeweler's for them to use as a model.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: engagement ring/wedding band - switching hands?

• We almosttttttt did this. Finally after weeks of looking we found a band that goes perfect with my e ring. Fi didn't think about that when he picked it out. It has a double infinity symbol which he loved. Jewelers kept forcing on these weird bands that you could tell didn't go with it or suggesting we pay thousands for a custom band. Finally at Kay's we found a "guard" it fits on both sides of my e ring and looks spectacular. Cant upload a pic from my phone but I will try to soon
    image 165 Asked to join at our big day.
    image 7 Are coming; cameras in hand ready to party!
    image 5 Are missing out on the fun.
    image 153 Haven't found the mail box back to us.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My wedding band and e-ring came as a set that my FI got at the same time before he proposed. The wedding band mimics the sides of my e-ring but without the big stone in the middle (see picture). My wedding band fits into the e-ring. Otherwise there would be a gap between the two bands right by the middle e-ring stone. I will be getting them soldered together since my wedding band is not perfectly flat on both sides (to hook up to the engagement ring) and it would look weird if I wore it by itself. I will be wearing them together on my left hand. I do not know anyone who has moved the e-ring over but I am sure it will look just fine! 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • My engagement ring and wedding band are one and the same, so...

• My FH picked out an e-ring that has to go with this one particular wedding, otherwise it would look all kinds of funky. (the band is twisty) So, I'll be wearing both on my left hand. I haven't heard of this particular tradition, but when we were picking up my wedding band a lady was at the counter next to us and she showed me her original ering and band, that she now wears on her left pinky (she got a SERIOUS upgrade to wear on her ring finger).

I think you can do just about anything you want with your rings, and no one will side-eye you.
  • My FI chose an ering that is just a very high set solitaire diamond in a 6 prong setting. We chose a wedding band that is a channel with round diamonds inside the channel. Both can be worn either alone or together.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• I have no IDEA what my wedding band will look like.  I had thought that I wanted to just get a band with peridot - but the jeweler we went to said that I would probably get tired of that after a few years...

I tried on just a band with diamonds around it - and was OK with it - but I think it kind of takes away from the engagement ring...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My wedding band and ering came from my grandmother, she had them soddered together, but I had them split apart. I'm also going to get a plain band for travel/watersports that matches my FI's band. I'll have the officiant bless them all and just wear whichever I feel like. A girl can't have too many options, can she?
  • We have to meet with jeweler to see what we can do as my ring was not made as an ering. My erring may end up on my left if we go with another set. He has two choices, either go with the band we picked out together or my grandfathers wedding band. FI's name is Leonard and that was also my grandfathers name so it was offered to us.

• my engagement ring is a cathedral setting solitaire.  I found a "guard" that mine fits into.  It makes it a lot wider, because I'll basically have a band on either side of my e-ring.  But it's not that bad, I'll just have to get used to it.
  • schellzinatorschellzinator member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    I still haven't figured out what I'm doing for a wedding band...but I can't seem to attach the picture of my ring because I was asking for suggestions. It is a solitaire emerald cut diamond on a simple band with a simple setting. Oh well...I'll keep looking :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh - now it went through. Suggestions welcome :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think the guards are really pretty, but I know from my sister's experience who did a wrap thing for her ring, she has moments when she wishes she could just wear a band and not her e-ring.  I just got a simple diamond band that semi matches my e-ring in the style, both are vintage, but can easily be worn without my e-ring, especially when I do activities. 
  • @coopergirl15 - I love your band...what are the darker stones?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @coopergirl15, that is beautiful! I agree about going the custom route, that is how my e-ring was made and I love it! 

We got the proofs back for the wedding bands and I can't wait to see them made in person!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This may be TMI - but what was the ballpark figure for custom made wedding bands?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards