Wedding Party

Bridesmaids Dresses for Differnt Body Types/Ages

I am having some trouble getting started picking out bridemaids dresses for my girls. My sister is 45 (she is my Matron of Honor) and is concerned with finding a dress that will be age appropriate. I'm not sure where to begin my search and how to find the most flattering dress for my sister and my other bridesmaids (who are 25 & 26). Everyone pretty much has a slender frame so that isn't really posing and isse but I am not necessarily sold yet on doing different dresses for my bridal party. If anyone has any suggestions, please HELP! :) Thank you in advance!

Re: Bridesmaids Dresses for Differnt Body Types/Ages

• manateehuggermanateehugger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2013
    Ally1120 said:

I am having some trouble getting started picking out bridemaids dresses for my girls. My sister is 45 (she is my Matron of Honor) and is concerned with finding a dress that will be age appropriate. I'm not sure where to begin my search and how to find the most flattering dress for my sister and my other bridesmaids (who are 25 & 26). Everyone pretty much has a slender frame so that isn't really posing and isse but I am not necessarily sold yet on doing different dresses for my bridal party. If anyone has any suggestions, please HELP! :) Thank you in advance!

You could look into doing different dresses in the same color/fabric but different styles - it's a little more coordinated than the "pick any black dress" thing. 

Otherwise, I think A-lines are flattering on almost every body type. And I'd avoid strapless. In a couple weeks, I'm going to a couple salons to look at dresses just by myself to personally try stuff on - that what I know if it's comfortable. Do some browsing and see what's out there - I was pleasantly surprised that some designers have moved away from the typical satin strapless dress. You could also look into Macy's, Nordstrom's, etc. 
  • Matchy matchy bridesmaids are not really in style anymore. I think the best brides say find whatever dress in X color (I said navy). It might not match exactly, but each woman can spend whatever the see fit and find a style they like, that way they look and feel their best. 

If this isn't for you, go to David's or somewhere that carries lines of dresses, pick a color and let them choose the style of dress. 
  • mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I started out wanting all matchy matchy dresses. It only took me seeing two of the girls look unflattering in the dress while two others look good.  I then let them all select their own in my chosen color and I asked that they all come to an agreement - all short or all long.  They all chose short and they all got great dresses that they all really like and I have four very happy bridesmaids. I recommend it!
  • Look at some pictures of mismatched wedding parties before you decide for sure. They can look really lovely, especially because the ladies involved are practically guaranteed to be happier wearing something they got to choose.
  • It is also common to have the Matron of Honour in a different dress than the BM.  It really depends on you and if you want to do that.  Other than that, I'm no help - my BMs will probably not only be in different dresses, but different shades. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My friend who recently got married had all of us (12!!) get different dresses but in the same color from Davids Bridal..it looked great. 

Like kerbohl mentioned though, your sister can pick a dress that's somewhat different than your other two bridesmaids because she is the Matron of Honor.  If your colors are royal blue and yellow (just as an example..please don't bash the combination choice), you could have her wear a blue dress with a yellow sash and have the other two in just blue..or vice versa. 

• Another vote for letting each BM pick their own dress.  Pick a color, fabric and length that you like, and let everyone pick their own dress.  I only had two BMs. I picked "sangria" from Davids' Bridal and they each picked their own dress.  It worked out that they both wanted a long dress, but I would have been fine either way.  They loved their dresses and they complimented their bodies very well, and I think complimented each other!

this is a picture of me and my two BMs. Yes, the dresses were different, but they looked awesome and neither of them were worried about being uncomfortable all day.

• My bridal party wildly varied with body types and I wasn't even going to try to matchy matchy them.  They each picked a dress in the color and length that I asked for.  And they all looked gorgeous and very coordinated.

Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Another vote for each girl picking their own! Be specific with color, fabric and length and they will all match yet all look their best!

Anniversary
  • I am only having two bridesmaids but they each have very different body types. My MOH is taller and stick thin. My other bridesmaid is shorter, a little heavier, and has a large chest. I went shopping with my MOH and let her choose first what she liked based on what I was thinking. We ended up with a navy blue, strapless, chiffon dress. So I just told my other bridesmaid to look for a navy blue chiffon dress that she liked because I felt that they both had very distinct styles and I wanted them to be comfortable the day of the wedding. I could never imagine them wearing the same dress because in reality neither girl would wear the same clothes.
  • If I were you, I would definitley go with any type of black dress. If its a summer wedding, get a one-shoulder tank dress or a plain basic strapleses dress- they look great on anyone. 
  • Thank you, ladies! I appreciate it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards