Illinois-Chicago
Options

Vendor Reviews - 6/8/13 Wedding

Hi all!  I found the vendor reviews incredibly helpful when I was wedding planning so I wanted to pay it forward. Overall, I was very happy with all of my vendors and would recommend any of them.  Good luck!

Ceremony/Reception Venue: Galleria Marchetti – highly recommend

We looked at a few venues in the city and ultimately decided on GM because of the location (near downtown), gorgeous space, and the fact that food/drink was included with the venue (we didn’t want to deal with a separate venue, caterer, bar, etc.)  It took us sometime to finalize the date but the team over there was patient, responsive and helpful the entire time.  Once we finally did, everything was really smooth sailing.  Jessica, our main contact, handled every question/issue/concern I had up until the very last minute.  And she did it all with a smile and kind tone in her voice/emails.  If you’re looking for a unique space (ie, not a hotel ballroom), I would highly recommend Galleria Marchetti.

Cake: Alliance Bakery – recommend

Our venue has preferred vendors for cakes and you get to dodge a cake cutting fee if you go with one.  We had the “cake is cake” attitude and only sampled the preferred vendors.  We ultimately went with Alliance (over another) because the price was much better.  We loved the cake too, but it was the price that drove it.  All our interactions with them were positive and the cake was great on the day of the wedding.  I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Photographer: Brian Kinyon Photography – highly recommend

My “highly recommend” might be a little eager as I haven’t seen the final product yet, but judging from the quick preview I did see, and our engagement pictures, I have faith in it!  Brian is one of the nicest guys ever and is just really pleasant to be around.  This makes a big difference as you are with the photog for about 8+ hours on your wedding day, not to mention working with them up until the big day.  He was helpful in suggesting photo sites, timeline edits, general ideas and most importantly, was patient with us.  He doesn’t offer a variety of price package options like some of the other bigger studios might but you are able to make some tweaks to customize it for what you need. 

Flowers: Celidan Creations – recommend

Admittedly, flowers aren’t really my thing.  I wanted pretty flowers that would last all day… and that’s exactly what I got with Celidan.  One of the things that really sold me on them was during our consultation meeting, I was having a hard time visualizing what the florist was describing.  And instead of just showing me a picture in a book, she just whipped it up right there on the spot.  I thought the fact that she really wanted me to see what she had in mind and get my feedback on it spoke to their customer service.  They were easy to work with and the flowers were beautiful.  They are based in Naperville and were easy to work with for a city wedding (didn’t charge an enormous delivery fee) but they did underestimate traffic time to the city and were almost late.  Regardless, the flowers were gorgeous and I was very happy with them.

Videographer: REM Video & Photography – TBD

My interactions with the entire company has been great so far and they were flexible with me on the packages/prices.  I can’t give a final answer on them until I see the video though. 

Day of Coordinator: Just Ducky Events (Barb Duckworth) – highly recommend

Barb was amazing.  From the moment I first emailed her she was responsive, helpful, had good ideas and easy to work with.  My mom and I put together everything we needed to be set up at the ceremony and reception, with a detailed instruction list, and Barb executed PERFECTLY.  I also trusted her to make any “on the spot” decisions as she completely had my vision understood.  I would absolutely recommend her to anyone needing a day of coordinator.  (I think she might offer more planning services now too)

Transportation: Chicago Trolley – recommend

Not too much to say other than they were easy to work with and on time!  Our driver was also very friendly, flexible and knew his way all around the city.   

Hotel: Hyatt Regency – recommend

We used the Hyatt as our hotel room block and its also where I got ready with my bridemaids the morning of the wedding.  This is a huge hotel with lots of space. The room rates were competitive considering it was a summer weekend downtown.  We had no issues getting all out of town guests into the block either.  The rooms and lobby have been renovated recently and its really beautiful.  Also, location is great for anyone wanting to do anything touristy while in town.

Band: Final Say (a Maggie Speaks band) – highly recommend

If you want a band, call this group.  They were energetic, read the crowd, and most importantly kept people on the dance floor until the very end!  The lead singer acts as an MC too and he was so great to work with, even with some last minute mother/son dance song changes the day before!  We are still getting compliments on how great they were! 

Tuxes: Formerlly Modern Tuxedo – highly recommend

GREAT customer service!  My finance didn’t really want a formal looking tux, so the staff there was able to help him find the perfect tux that was classy, without looking overly formal.  They were a breeze to work with and have a lot of great options.

Bridesmaid Dresses: Bella Bridesmaid – moderately recommend

I loved our bridesmaid dresses and so did my BMs.  We went with the LulaKate line, which I highly recommend.  The experience with Bella Bridesmaid was just so-so though.  They were great at letting me and my friends come in and try on dress styles as much as we wanted but when it came time to ordering, they were not as helpful.  You have to order the dresses online (at least with the LulaKates, maybe not all their lines) and the website is not very user friendly.  I frequently had to call Bella to confirm the orders were correctly submitted and didn’t receive as much help as I felt I needed.  A plus is that dresses came in about a month before we expected them and for the most part, the girls didn’t need alterations.  One of my friends dresses had a stain on it and (according to her) Bella wasn’t super helpful with it and just suggested she get it dry cleaned.  It ended up fine, but without assistance from Bella.  I know other brides that worked with them and have glowing reviews so I know they are good, I just wasn’t as impressed. 

Makeup: Beauty by Brush, Kim Nather – recommend

Kim has done the make up for 4 of my friends weddings and had done mine in 3 of those 4.  So I knew I liked her work!  She was easy to work with and very professional.  Her rates for the bride are a bit high but the rates for the bridesmaids/moms are definitely reasonable.  She was flexible with setting up the date/time/location of my trial date and I was thrilled with my make up that day. And it lasted all night long!  Definitely recommend her.

Wedding Dress: Bella Bridal & Formal Wear – OUT OF BUSINESS

I would have recommended them but sadly they have gone out of business. 

Hope that helps some of you... happy planning!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards