Favors

The necessity of favors

I keep looking up ideas for favors, and I can't really decide on anything, plus I'm on a budget for this wedding. Now I'm seriously considering not doing them at all. Since I found an awesome special at my venue, I'm already giving people a buffet dinner and a 4 hour unlimited open bar. I fully anticipate the party to be plenty of fun. So what I want to know is, particularly from a guest's point of view, would favors really be missed?

Re: The necessity of favors

• Not at all.
  • It's a nice gesture, but nobody expects them.  They won't be missed.
  • I would end my friendship with you if there were no favors!  I'm kidding. The only people who really care about the favors are the couple (and sometimes not even them).

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I'm not doing favors. I am doing a buffet and top shelf open bar.

Anniversary

• I'd be surprised if anyone missed them (where I come from we don't really do them so much, though, so I may be offering a totally useless opinion). From an outsider's perspective, they're cute and all but I wouldn't lose sleep over them. Your guests are there for you and your fiance! Getting stuff to bring home is all very well, but certainly isn't the point of the thing.
  • Favors really aren't a necessity, however, many brides use them as wedding decorations for the reception tables.  Use them if you think they will add to your décor at the reception or just skip them all together...
  • You don't have to do favors at all.  I'm doing 10 Jordan almonds in little organza bags, simple yet fun.  My better half wanted Matchbox mustangs which HE will be paying for.
  • We're thinking about just doing 2 or 3 little honey straws per person (because they go with other parts of our reception, and they're super cheap!) for favors, in a couple of flavors, but we are seriously considering no favors, too.  I think our reception decor is going to be largely garden-type decor and flowers, and FH loves hummingbirds (we're doing a glass hummingbird cake topper) the honey just seems an obvious connection, since hummingbirds drink nectar.  :)  I'm not stressing over it though, and if we end up not doing anything, I'm just as happy with that too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't think favors are necessary.  Most the time no one cares or remembers them afterwards.  Don't get me wrong, they can be fun... but definately not a requirement.
  • Thanks for asking this question!  I too am on a budget and I've been to some weddings that had cute favors but I know they are out of my price range.  I made my own invites using an iPad app so I decided that I am going to create a "thank you" card with a message from my fiance and I to be at each place.  (I found the idea on Pinterest of course!)

Most people have told me that they won't miss favors but as a bride, I think it's required to worry about everything!

• I am so glad I found this! I think at most we will do some homemade treats in a bag with a thank you card and call it a day. Although the fiance is currently looking up personalized hot sauce, so we'll see...
    Most of our guests will be from out of town, so luggage room is definitely something to consider.

PS- Where do I get one of those adorable wedding tickers/banners for the bottom of my post? Adorable.
  • THANK YOU THANK YOU I'm a bride too, and have my mom telling me I have to do something, but I really think it's a pain. I've been to many weddings where I leave the 'favor' on the table, or 1 person takes all of the shot glasses or what ever before everyone gets theirs anyway.  I didn't care, and I hope my family doesn't either.  Candy the kids always seem to steal away with.. why am I still stressing about this??

thanks!!

Barb

• I'm so glad I'm not the only one who is in this boat! 

My mom and I just had this discussion AGAIN tonight!  She thinks we need to provide favors (her idea is a candy station) and I think it's not necessary.  I can't remember a single favor that I've kept from any wedding I've attended.

I don't hate the idea of a candy station...it just seems like every wedding does it.  And, we are already providing dinner, cake, and booze--why more food?

She had an idea of "thanking" guests for attending by having a favor with a hand-written "thank you for celebrating with us" tied to it (or something of that nature), and I can potentially work with that.  However, what would that favor be???? hmmm...

• Thanks for asking this question!  I too am on a budget and I've been to some weddings that had cute favors but I know they are out of my price range.  I made my own invites using an iPad app so I decided that I am going to create a "thank you" card with a message from my fiance and I to be at each place.  (I found the idea on Pinterest of course!)

Most people have told me that they won't miss favors but as a bride, I think it's required to worry about everything!

These cards you have at each place will  not replace the thank you cards for the gifts, will they?
  • We are not doing favors...  We are putting that money towards a gourmet s'mores bar.  :)
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • AprilH81 said:
    We are not doing favors...  We are putting that money towards a gourmet s'mores bar.  :)
    We did a late night s'more station. People LOVED it!
    *********************************************************************************

• Where I am from, favors are a BIG deal lol... people would talk about me for months if they left my wedding without a favor. That being said, it is necessary for me.
  • I think favors are great if you can get them to tie into your theme or colors...and if they are in your budget.

@KnotPorscha, this is not the first board this poster has commented on with her "helpful" favor suggestion......
  • Since my better half wants the wedding and I want to make him happy, we're going the traditional way and doing favors...

The twist is that we are going to fill tiny jars (think baby food jars) with M&Ms and place them on the tables, one for each person.  Our first names and our last names both start with M.
  • I'm doing a candy bar as my favor.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards