Chit Chat
Options

Planning a wedding in 39 day -ahhhh

We have 39 days before the wedding. We decided to get married 2 days ago so this is all rushed. Basically what things do you think we can cut/not do? And what things do we really have to do? Because I have no ideas

Re: Planning a wedding in 39 day -ahhhh

• Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2013
    As long as you have an officiant and witnesses and some place to get married. What else you may or may not need really depends on the type of wedding you want to have.

ETA: Is there a reason for the rush?

• Options
    You only need a marriage license, an officiant and somewhere to get married.  Extras can include a venue to host guests at a reception.  If you invite guests, consider having an afternoon cake, punch and light appetizer reception only. (start the ceremony at 2pm, have your reception from 2:30-5:30).   You wont need to serve a full meal if you don't stretch across a meal time.
  • Options
    First, congratulations on your engagement! The only things you absolutely need are an officiant, a place to have the ceremony, and a marriage license. If you haven't already, look into marriage license laws in your state asap. Some states have a waiting period. With your tight time frame, you'll want to find out if yours does soon.

As others have pointed out, if you have any guests, you need to have some sort of reception, but it doesn't have to be big or fancy. Cake and punch receptions are fine, as long as it doesn't happen at a meal time. If you do serve a meal, it could just be a backyard cook out or pizza delivery.

You might have to skip a lot of things traditionally provided by vendors, such as flowers or DJs. Vendors typically book months in advance, and this is a busy season. If it's important to you, it never hurts to ask, but you might want to look at alternatives. For example, you can get flowers at the farmers market and make your own, or use pretty silk flowers (I'm doing this).

Please come back if you need more help with planning! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    One of my bridesmaids planned her wedding in 2 weeks. They got married beside a lake in the backyard of her friend (who was a judge and married them) and then served cake, fruit, cheese and crackers and veggies and a variety of beverages. Voila!  Married. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    This sounds awesome! Ditto PPs. 
  • Options
    The only other thing I'd focus on is finding a photographer.
  • Options
    I have no useful advice but just wanted to say good luck!
  • Options
    Congratulations!!  The time is only an issue if you are dead set on certain vendors - venue, photographers, etc.  as they may be already booked.  If not, you just need a license, officiant, and witnesses as everyone else said.  If you have guests you need to thank them for coming by hosting a reception after, but it doesn't have to be big or fancy, as mentioned by PP's.  

• Options
    As long as you have an officiant and witnesses and some place to get married. What else you may or may not need really depends on the type of wedding you want to have.

ETA: Is there a reason for the rush?
    This is what I wanna know, too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Congratulations!!  You can absolutely plan an expedited wedding - what you can/can't do will mostly be determined by how much time you have available and your budget.  Also, if it will be wedding season for you, you might not be able to get your first choice of venues, band, caterers, etc.  (I know summer weddings are very popular for many areas of the country - I'm in Phoenix, so it's actually off-season here).
  • Options
      bethsmiles said:
     Is there a reason for the rush?

No real reason for the rush - just that we want to be married and that if we do it quickly it doesn't become a big society wedding.

Thanks

We have someone to marry us (FH uncle) and we are getting married on our roof terrace.

We do want guest. And while cake and drink might be okay for some people I kind of want to have full meals or cocktail sort of food

I'll start looking a photographers and food today. I'm not that bothered about music really.

Thanks

• Options
    Congrats and good luck! A rooftop terrace sounds beautiful :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Congratulations!

You might want at least background music if you're getting married outside - it'll help mask traffic and other outdoor noises...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards