Favors

Charity Donation

2»

Re: Charity Donation

• I appreciate the feedback of don't say anything, that is what we will do... In no way is my fiance and I donating to a charity saying that we are "so fabulous" or "LOOKATME" its more we are saying the stupid m&m and mini frames or whatever else are a waste of $ that someone could actually use and I didn't know if guests would be looking for a favor and this would explain why they aren't getting one....but JEEZ ladies you don't have to be rude and assume I am some brat that is selfish is an attention grabber must you assume the most negative things about people?

People don't even want to hear "we think it's a waste of time to give you something because we don't think you'll ever use it."  Whether true or not, this is just a message no one needs to hear.

Just don't do favors.
  • the Salvation Army has refused gays and lesbians from their services.  There is no way I'd give one cent to them, and I would be furious if someone donated to them in my name or on my behalf, or considered it a "favor" to me.
  • Stage, I donate to Salvation Army disaster relief.

Folks, the Salvation Army and Red Cross help with more disasters than just hurricanes and floods.  If you suffer a personal tragedy such as a house fire - give them a ring.  They'll help with that, too.  They also help locate missing family members and train new parents on first aid, CPR and safety.
    With the RC you don't have to call them if you have a house fire - local emergency crews call National and National calls the local chapter and sends members of a Disaster Action Team to the site to lend help, both immediate and long term.

• the Salvation Army has refused gays and lesbians from their services.  There is no way I'd give one cent to them, and I would be furious if someone donated to them in my name or on my behalf, or considered it a "favor" to me.
    I understand that, QF.  I have mixed feelings about them.  They do often provide food - without regard to sexual orientation - at disaster sites, and I appreciate their efforts in those cases.  But I am also deeply bothered by their stance with regards to gay people.

• Viczaesar said:
    the Salvation Army has refused gays and lesbians from their services.  There is no way I'd give one cent to them, and I would be furious if someone donated to them in my name or on my behalf, or considered it a "favor" to me.
    I understand that, QF.  I have mixed feelings about them.  They do often provide food - without regard to sexual orientation - at disaster sites, and I appreciate their efforts in those cases.  But I am also deeply bothered by their stance with regards to gay people.
    I have personally known people who have gone to their agency for help and have been turned away, at more than one location.  
  • Viczaesar said:
    the Salvation Army has refused gays and lesbians from their services.  There is no way I'd give one cent to them, and I would be furious if someone donated to them in my name or on my behalf, or considered it a "favor" to me.
    I have personally known people who have gone to their agency for help and have been turned away, at more than one location.  
    That doesn't surprise me based on what I've heard, but they aren't allowed to discriminate when working with the Red Cross.  If they provide the food at a shelter they provide it for everybody (actually they usually provide it to us and we serve it).  Like I said, I'm very torn about SA. 

• Viczaesar said:
    WTF?! Seriously? What kind of services do they refuse to provide based on sexual identity (I clearly know nothing about the SA except that they have thrift stores)?

Anniversary

• We seem to have gotten sidetracked with posts about the politics of donations rather than about whether or not to donate in lieu of favors.
  • Your powers of observation are impressive, Jen.

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
    Unlike yours, Viczaesar?  Do you have anything to say that isn't hostile and snide?
  • Jen4948 said:
    Unlike yours, Viczaesar?  Do you have anything to say that isn't hostile and snide?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards