Chit Chat

So I'll be going to Japan in 7 hours

plumanderplumander member
5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited June 2013 in Chit Chat
FI and I are calling it our "pre-honeymoon" as a joke, but it's actually for work.

Are any of y'all going somewhere exciting this summer?
*** This account is used by two people. Lila is bitchy and up late. Bonnie is sweet and helpful. Sorry if it confuses y'all. ***

Re: So I'll be going to Japan in 7 hours

• Nope, we're paying for a wedding, so our vacation was the first week of June and we aren't going anywhere else this year.

• No, but totally jealous of you going to Japan! You'll have to tell us all about it when you come back :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• wow have an awesome time in Japan! I'm going to Ohio in August for a wedding that is about as exciting as it gets, we have a new home and are planning a wedding.

Anniversary

• We're going to Japan for our honeymoon, but thats not until next year
  • Enjoy! FI and I went in 2011 - we actually arrived the day of the earthquakes/tsunami. :-S  Because of the tremendous human tragedy and disruption to the transit systems we had to alter our plans drastically, and are really hoping to go back soon. We were in France for the first of the year, but no other travel plans except a short jaunt to the Florida keys due to the wedding and a house remodel. 
  • I have friends coming here to visit me this summer, so nope. Enjoy Japan!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Wow, how exciting!

We leave for London first thing Saturday morning. Luckily, it's 9 months before the wedding, because we are going to have to replenish our bank accounts for a honeymoon!

• We wanted to take a first anniversary trip, but H works freelance, so it's impossible to plan anything unless it's the day before. This turns me into a basketcase, so we're just planning on doing a ski trip the second week in December. The film industry is notoriously slow in December, so fingers crossed we can find some good snow in December. 

Also fingers crossed we can even squeeze in an anniversary dinner.
  • Wow OP, I would love to visit Japan, that's fantastic. I hope you have a fantastic trip, I'd love to see photos!
    @LMc0322 I love London, hopefully you'll get some great weather just now as well. It might be nice to spend a day in a beer garden watching Wimbledon!
    I'm going to Egypt on Saturday for a week, I can't wait. It's going to be so warm though.
  • sdg2502 said:
    Wow OP, I would love to visit Japan, that's fantastic. I hope you have a fantastic trip, I'd love to see photos! @LMc0322 I love London, hopefully you'll get some great weather just now as well. It might be nice to spend a day in a beer garden watching Wimbledon! I'm going to Egypt on Saturday for a week, I can't wait. It's going to be so warm though.

I'm such a doofus I didn't even know Wimbledon would be going on until Saturday.  I've been traveling far too much for work lately and have finally had time to focus on my own trip :)

Egypt sounds amazing! And damn hot. I don't do well with hot :)  Have a wonderful time and a safe trip!

• Where in Japan are you visiting??? I was there a little over 3 years ago...it was incredible! People were very friendly and extremely polite. There were "happy sounds" everywhere (all these little chimes for subways, traffic lights, etc). I would love to go back!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • All of my time off is saved for our honeymoon, so we'll only do little weekend trips this summer.
  • I really want to go to Japan, what with the whole 'nihongo o hanasemasu' thing :|.

• LMc0322 said:

sdg2502 said:

Wow OP, I would love to visit Japan, that's fantastic. I hope you have a fantastic trip, I'd love to see photos! @LMc0322 I love London, hopefully you'll get some great weather just now as well. It might be nice to spend a day in a beer garden watching Wimbledon! I'm going to Egypt on Saturday for a week, I can't wait. It's going to be so warm though.

I'm such a doofus I didn't even know Wimbledon would be going on until Saturday.  I've been traveling far too much for work lately and have finally had time to focus on my own trip :)

Egypt sounds amazing! And damn hot. I don't do well with hot :)  Have a wonderful time and a safe trip!

I don't do well with hot either and currently it's 40+ over there! Going to Sherm el sheikh which is the holiday resort, with my FI and her family. The hotel has a waterpark and I think I'm more excited about that than anything!
    I'm watching Wimbledon just now and the weather looks gorgeous in London, I think you'll have a great time!
  • Going to Hawaii for le 10-day honeymoon, and am most excited about it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Very cool; I went to Japan for work 2 years ago, but I literally flew there, worked two days and came home, lol--so I can't really count it as anything spectacular, minus the free trip to Japan. 

Our honeymoon is first week of September in Hawaii so we at least have that to look forward to (I guess that counts as summer still?)!

Anniversary
  • sdg2502 said:

I just got back from vacation and wanted to check on you @sdg2502 -- did you end up actually traveling there? Make it back safe?
  • keochankeochan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    I really want to go to Japan, what with the whole 'nihongo o hanasemasu' thing :|.
    @thejucheidea 日本語をはなせますか。どの位は勉強しましたか?私は4年生日本語の専攻です。
  • thejucheideathejucheidea member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2013

@keochan: I don't have IME on my work laptop or my home desktop (my beautiful Mac laptop got stolen from our house in March, and that's how I always typed my Japanese), but koukou no toki, ichinen gurai nihongo o benkyou suru, daigaku de san-nen gurai benkyou shimashita. Senmon wa ajia kenkyuu deshita. Shikashi, san-nensei no toki, senmon wo kawaru, kangohou wo benkyou shimashita. Ima, watashi wa ganken de kangoshi desu. Nihongo wo benkyou no jikan ga arimasen kara, taitei nihongo wo wasuremashita.

• @thejucheidea ああ、そかう。好きですか。日本に行くことがありますか。I work for the foreign language school at my university so every computer comes with IME setup
  • @keochan : Zannen nagara, itsumo ikimasen. Shigoto ga daisuki dakedo, amari nimo isogashii da kara, itsumo kutakuta de, sutoresu ga arimasu.

I need to get my fiance to set up the IME on my desktop at home. I don't know anything about Windows, so I don't know how to do it on my own.

• keochankeochan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    My work is the same. IME set up is super easy. You go Control Panel<Clock, Language, and Region<Change keyboards or other input methods<Change keyboards under the keyboards and Language tab<Scroll to Japanese, select the options<click 'Add' and then okay and that should do it.
  • We're not taking a large trip for budget reasons, but we are escaping to a beach town on Lake Michigan and staying at a romantic B&B for a few days in August.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Thanks for asking!  Yeah, we made it back safe and I think we came back at the right time, the situation seems to be rapidly deteriorating.  We were told not to leave the hotel on our first day, which was the day the protests started because it was the one year anniversary of President Morsi being elected. 
    The next day, we were made to believe everything was normal but that night I put the BBC World News on (mainly to check how Andy Murray was getting on at Wimbledon) and I saw the headline that the army had given the president 48 hours to resign.  We still weren't too worried until a couple of days later when we got a British newspaper.  It had a lot of news about Egypt that we weren't hearing, including stuff about people being killed or injured in and around Cairo. 
    After that, we spoke to the tour rep who recommended we cancel an excursion we had planned (quad biking in the desert) but we were still able to go snorkelling in the Red Sea, which was an incredible experience. 
     We saw people walking around Sharm carrying machine guns a few days into the holiday and there were fireworks going off everywhere the night Morsi got arrested. 

Anyway, how was London?  What did you see and do?
  • @sdg2502 - Wow.  I'm glad you got home safe!!  The snorkeling sounds incredible.

London was great.  Did all the big touristy stuff, of course.  We were supposed to catch our flight at around 6:30 am.  2 hours or so of a layover, and then we'd arrive at about 10pm local time in London after an 8 hour flight.  Nope.  We checked in and were told we wouldn't be getting there because our first flight was delayed.  Oof.  We ended up in the DC airport for 12 hours and then put on the red eye.  Luckily, they put us in super amazing first class.  And we got access to the lounge for those 12 hours.  It had free Wifi, so I watched about 10 episodes of Doctor Who on my phone.

We were only in London a few days.  We drove up to Bath and did some side trips to Wells and Street (random. Went to a cider producer. Loved it!).  One of my favorite things we did was drive up to Cardiff.

It took over two days after we got home to get over what I can only assume was jet lag. I felt like ass.  But it was amazing!

• We were delayed going to Egypt, and our friends were delayed going to Turkey the same day. If you were flying around the same time, it might have been the same issue. Apparently there was loads of congestion over Europe, so with British flights being delayed it could have filled up slots for you landing.
    I can't believe you got put in first class, that's so amazing! If I could afford it, that would be my splurge for the wedding/honeymoon. It just costs so much I don't think I could actually go through with it. I have long legs (I'm 5'11", 36" inside leg) so economy class can get really uncomfortable. Although to be fair, when we flew with united to New York the plane was roomier than I'm used to.

Cardiff is lovely, it reminds me of Glasgow because it's such a small city but with nicer weather. My parents live there and I'm actually thinking about taking a road trip down to visit them at the start of next month. Did you go to the Doctor Who experience? I've not been but I'd love to!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards