Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Incorporating baby into vow renewal

My husband and I were in the Marine Corps and thanks to location, deployment and training schedules never had a "wedding" just a JOP ceremony.  

It's been five years and we're renewing our vows and having a ceremony and big party with all our friends and family.  We have a 10-month-old and want to include him somehow towards the end of the ceremony.  Any ideas?

We've thought about a family blessing, blessing of the hands, etc. but I can't find a good script or example.

HELP!

Re: Incorporating baby into vow renewal

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2013
    mlmccoy12 said:
    My husband and I were in the Marine Corps and thanks to location, deployment and training schedules never had a "wedding" just a JOP ceremony.  

It's been five years and we're renewing our vows and having a ceremony and big party with all our friends and family.  We have a 10-month-old and want to include him somehow towards the end of the ceremony.  Any ideas?

We've thought about a family blessing, blessing of the hands, etc. but I can't find a good script or example.

HELP!

He's 10 months old. He certainly won't remember it! Plus, any 10-month old I've known has been super squirmy and active...

I'd be a fan of doing nothing at all since the vow renewal is about you and your DH, or having the officiant say something quick and simple while the two of you hold the baby like "We bless Mlmcoy, DH, and Baby as they continue to grow in love and faith as a family" (Though this only works if you're religious)

• You did have a wedding. Calling your JOP ceremony not a real wedding is insulting to the brides who are perfectly happy with their weddings

Anyway, I agree with the idea of a very brief family blessing.
  • We're thinking something real quick, right at the end.  The ceremony is really short.
  • A vow renewal is between you and your husband. Maybe you can mention your child in the vows themselves, but I'd leave it at that.
  • I'm glad you recognize this as a vow renewal instead of a wedding.  You'd be surprised at the number of people who don't.  However, like others have said, the vows are between you and your husband.  You and your husband can include mentions of your son in the vows and take some lovely family pictures, but getting a 10 month old to do something would be not only odd but very difficult.  Kids at that age aren't known for their dexterity or self-control after all!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My advice about incorporating a baby into this: Don't.

A 10-month old:
    1) Can't handle breaks in routines well
    2) Can't remember or understand what's going on

Just have him in photos and let it go at that.  Don't try to "incorporate" him in some cute capacity-it just doesn't come off as "cute."
  • Although, I'd love to do a Simba-esq presentation.  This is a super casual event, and I'm talking about holding him while the pastor does some sort of blessing.  I'm sure babies have no idea that they are getting baptized or dedicated but they seem to hold up well for to minute and a half their parents are holding him. 

That's the kind of script, I'm looking for. A short family blessing.   
  • LiLe422LiLe422 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2013
    mlmccoy12 said:

HELP!
    OP, it is highly insulting of you to say a JOP ceremony is NOT a wedding.  My parents were married in a JOP ceremony, 30 loooong years ago.  HA!  Try telling them they didn't have a wedding.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    mlmccoy12 said:
    Although, I'd love to do a Simba-esq presentation.  This is a super casual event, and I'm talking about holding him while the pastor does some sort of blessing.  I'm sure babies have no idea that they are getting baptized or dedicated but they seem to hold up well for to minute and a half their parents are holding him. 

That's the kind of script, I'm looking for. A short family blessing.   

I gave you one a few posts up.

To re-post...

having the officiant say something quick and simple while the two of you hold the baby like "We bless Mlmcoy, DH, and Baby as they continue to grow in love and faith as a family"

• I agree with @itzMS's blessing. Maybe during your vows you promise to care for your family.

And just because your wedding didn't involve the hoopla doesn't mean that it wasn't a real wedding.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited July 2013
    @mlmccoy12  A real wedding doesn't require anything more that a bride and groom and officiant. 
    I noticed that you're using an Irish SN, have you googled Irish Blessings? I found this poem that may be appropriate for your vow renewal:

What is a Family?"
    Author Unknown

A family is .....
    The sweetest feelings
    The warmest hugs
    Trust and togetherness
    Unconditional love
    The stories of our lives written on the same page
    The nicest memories anyone has ever made
    Treasured photos
    Thankful tears
    Hearts overflowing with all the years
    Being there for one another
    Supporting and caring
    Understanding, Helping, Sharing
    Walking life's path together
    And making the journey more beautiful because .....
    We are a family.....And a family
    is Love.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards