Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Personalizing ceremony stress

Hello everyone, this is me venting but really wanting to hear other opinions.... First a little background, I was raised catholic and FI christian but we no longer practice although we are spiritual. For the ceremony we are wanting a nonreligious, spiritual, romantic ceremony incorporating mexican traditions ( the lazo and coins). My vent is that i cant get over thinking what others will think off us meshing our religions and cultures, cut and pasting to personalize our ceremony. From what I have explained to many members and friends, some just dont agree with it or understand how we can do this, but others are encouraging us to do what we want since it is our big day. I'm just such a people pleaser and wanting the ceremony to be taken seriously that I am just stressing over putting the ceremony together and what to include. Have you ladies ever attended a nontraditional wedding Iike this? How was it? Any suggestions or feedback is appreciated! Thank you ladies!!

Re: Personalizing ceremony stress

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2013
    NancyH11 said:
    Hello everyone, this is me venting but really wanting to hear other opinions.... First a little background, I was raised catholic and FI christian but we no longer practice although we are spiritual. For the ceremony we are wanting a nonreligious, spiritual, romantic ceremony incorporating mexican traditions ( the lazo and coins). My vent is that i cant get over thinking what others will think off us meshing our religions and cultures, cut and pasting to personalize our ceremony. From what I have explained to many members and friends, some just dont agree with it or understand how we can do this, but others are encouraging us to do what we want since it is our big day. I'm just such a people pleaser and wanting the ceremony to be taken seriously that I am just stressing over putting the ceremony together and what to include. Have you ladies ever attended a nontraditional wedding Iike this? How was it? Any suggestions or feedback is appreciated! Thank you ladies!!

You really should be working directly with your officiant. He or she is trained to assist you in developing your ceremony.

To be honest, I would suggest you keep the ceremony short and sweet versus adding extra fluff.

Processional

Welcome/Opening Prayer

Song/Readings

Vows

Rings

Kiss

Presentation of couple

Recessional

ETA: If your family members are still practicing Catholics...they might have some issues with you not being married in the Church. So, that could play a role in the pushback and general misunderstanding that you are receiving.

• Options
    @itzMS thanks for the response! I have been to a few weddings where it's almost too short and sweet. I dont want to say i want ppl to cry......but i want ppl to get emotional, really feel the love lol This is why I wanted to incorporate a little more than just the traditional format. Im in the process of finding an officiant and I'm sure like you suggested it will be easier to have their professional opinion on what to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards