Wedding Invitations & Paper

Inviting Celebrities.... question on invite assembly

So, we have extra invites and are "inviting" a few celebrities who we are hoping will do nothing more than send back a signed photo. (That's not saying we wouldn't be thrilled and shocked if by some chance they randomly did show, but highly unlikely) 

Do we send out the entire invite with RSVP card and everything? 

I know that Disney says just to send the invite to the Mouse's, and nothing more, so we will do that, but what about the two other celebrities?  One is a TV host
(I am sending him a note so that he doesn't think I'm just a crazy person that wants to invite him to my wedding), and the other is a pro athlete.

Guide me, please. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Inviting Celebrities.... question on invite assembly

• Do you actually know and socialize with the celebrities you are inviting?  It doesn't sound like it, and if that's the case, I wouldn't invite them.  Look at it from their point of view:  They'd probably rather not get invitations from people they don't know based solely on their celebrity.  It makes them feel used.

But for anyone you invite, yes, you send a full invitation and plan to accommodate them just like all your other guests.

• The invites would be sent to their management companies, but I can see what you are saying. I do not know any of the celebrities we are inviting, but I wish I did!  Especially the TV host we were considering inviting. We are actually planning on going on a tour of the show's HQ on the honeymoon, so asking him for a picture/autograph would be kind of cool. 

I'm still inviting Mickey and Minnie though.  You get a really cool certificate and pin from Disney. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So, we have extra invites and are "inviting" a few celebrities who we are hoping will do nothing more than send back a signed photo. (That's not saying we wouldn't be thrilled and shocked if by some chance they randomly did show, but highly unlikely) 

I know that Disney says just to send the invite to the Mouse's, and nothing more, so we will do that, but what about the two other celebrities?  One is a TV host
    (I am sending him a note so that he doesn't think I'm just a crazy person that wants to invite him to my wedding), and the other is a pro athlete.

Guide me, please. 

What? Send it to the mouse's what? I'm confused.

Anniversary

•  I think as Micky and Minnie are NOT real people, and Disney has protocol for this, inviting them is fine. Don't send an rsvp card- they're from a generation that precedes the need for them.

Human people who are  celebrities whom you do NOT actually know, should not be invited. I do not think Mr. Cooper {?guessing?} would be super excited to learn that the random couple who invited him to their wedding is ALSO going to be on his set soon, yeah! I bet his security team would be pretty interested though.....

•  Oh, and for the pro athlete- please, for the love of God, NO. Do not send him an invite. It is not quirky- it is cruel. He is much more exposed to fans, and this would terrify him, and his family. You would literally screw up his game- everytime he was on the field or court, he'd be remembering that some crazy nut is probably up in the bleachers, angry that he didn't come to her big day.

Celebrities are people too. You know it would frighten any random complete stranger to receive an invite from someone they are certain they don't know, why people who work as talk show hosts or athletes any different?

• mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I'm totally rolling my eyes at this. I get the whole sending it to Disney thing...but sending it to celebrities is ridiculous. You can get an autographed picture other ways.
  • I'm sorry, but I just think this is lame. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • If you don't personally know these people, don't do it.  It's creepy.

• KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I know that you can do this with the President and he will send back a congratulatory note, etc.  and I know that you can do it with Disney characters and will receive a note/picture.

I wouldn't just start sending off invitations to completely random celebrities, etc. unless you can find where they encourage this, respond positively to it, etc.

*** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • daisey18 said:

Oh, and for the pro athlete- please, for the love of God, NO. Do not send him an invite. It is not quirky- it is cruel. He is much more exposed to fans, and this would terrify him, and his family. You would literally screw up his game- everytime he was on the field or court, he'd be remembering that some crazy nut is probably up in the bleachers, angry that he didn't come to her big day.

Celebrities are people too. You know it would frighten any random complete stranger to receive an invite from someone they are certain they don't know, why people who work as talk show hosts or athletes any different?

Seriously??
  • daisey18 said:

Oh, and for the pro athlete- please, for the love of God, NO. Do not send him an invite. It is not quirky- it is cruel. He is much more exposed to fans, and this would terrify him, and his family. You would literally screw up his game- everytime he was on the field or court, he'd be remembering that some crazy nut is probably up in the bleachers, angry that he didn't come to her big day.

WOW, are you for serious?  A wee bit overly dramatic, wouldn't you say?

OP, I think it is very strange to send celebrities (who don't know you from Adam) an invitation to your wedding.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    So, we have extra invites and are "inviting" a few celebrities who we are hoping will do nothing more than send back a signed photo. (That's not saying we wouldn't be thrilled and shocked if by some chance they randomly did show, but highly unlikely) 

Guide me, please. 

Why not just buy a signed photo for like $20 from Ebay?

It seems immature to me to invite celebrities for the sole hope of getting an autograph.

• Save your money. Disney, fine - but actual people? Kinda weird.

My mom is close with the governor but we're not inviting him so as not to flaunt him - and we actually know him.

Just, don't.
  • Ok! Sheesh!   I said I got the hint.  It was an idea some of my friend (and not the potluck one) shared, and the FH was the one who suggested to send the other celebs.  The other friend "invited" a football player and got an autographed photo for her husband. That's all I was after, so to ebay and fan clubs I go. 

daisey18 I am fully aware that they are people, and that's why I wasn't sure if there was a better way to go about it.  I didn't want to randomly invite and actually expect them to show up. And I'm not about to go stalk any of them or strike terror into their hearts.  I'm not Deniro in "The Fan"... sheesh.  You went just a little overboard there.  And no.  Not Mr. Cooper.  I'm not even sure who that is.  I was talking about Chip Foose.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @StageManager14, libby2418,LiLe422,

Well yes, perhaps that was a bit overdramatic of me. But I actually had a violent stalker for 2 years, and whenever I think of celebrities getting weird shit from people it just instantly puts me back in that paranoid mindset.

Besides, one of you tried to twist my words and accused me of promoting "genital mutilation"  the first time I ever posted- so if you want to jump up and scream

"Drama Queen!!" at ME- go right ahead.

• Unless it's an established tradition (ie, Mickey Mouse, POTUS, etc) that you know you get a response, I wouldn't do it.  Invitations are expensive and it's probably 99% likely that the celebrity you are sending it to will never even know about it.

Although, if you wanted to be really weird, you could go the fanboy route and invite them via their FB page.  I mean, people have gotten dates to the prom that way...(seriously though, don't do that)
  • The invites would be sent to their management companies, but I can see what you are saying. I do not know any of the celebrities we are inviting, but I wish I did!  Especially the TV host we were considering inviting. We are actually planning on going on a tour of the show's HQ on the honeymoon, so asking him for a picture/autograph would be kind of cool. 

I'm still inviting Mickey and Minnie though.  You get a really cool certificate and pin from Disney. 

I don't want to disappoint you but Disney no longer sends certificates or pins. You get a post card from Mickey and Minnie. You actually get the same one for both Fla and CA now so only send it to one.  I'll admit I was sad not to get the Cinderella and Prince Charming certificate.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I don't want to disappoint you but Disney no longer sends certificates or pins. You get a post card from Mickey and Minnie. You actually get the same one for both Fla and CA now so only send it to one.  I'll admit I was sad not to get the Cinderella and Prince Charming certificate.
    Well that makes me sad.  I was only gonna send one, but i wanted the certificate, dang it.  That stinks. :( 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I'm definitely sending one to the President.

*** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you want a signed photo from this celebrity, why don't you go old school and send him a fan letter?  
  • Woah, people need to calm down! I'm sending an invite to Mickey and the President because I think the keepsakes they send you would be a cute little memento to put into a scrap book. Celebrities get crazy fan mail all the time, I don't think they'd be totally weirded out by getting a random invite, and I definitely don't think they'd assume you were a stalker.. geeze.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
    vcsomos said:
    Woah, people need to calm down! I'm sending an invite to Mickey and the President because I think the keepsakes they send you would be a cute little memento to put into a scrap book. Celebrities get crazy fan mail all the time, I don't think they'd be totally weirded out by getting a random invite, and I definitely don't think they'd assume you were a stalker.. geeze.
    It's not a matter of them being "weirded out" so much as that given that they don't know the people inviting them, they're going to realize that the only reason they're being invited is because these people are fans of whatever they do that makes them a celebrity.  You might say that it's the public persona who's being invited even though the invitation is addressed to the private one.  That could make a celebrity feel unappreciated and unappreciative of the invitation.

If you really want a "cute little memento" from them get an autographed photo or something-not a decline for your wedding invitation.  (IMO those things aren't even "cute.")
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards