Wedding Woes
Options

Disney: The axis of evil

Dear Prudie,
My ex-husband is a Disney hater. He's always held very strong opinions about the evil this company has done to the world, their financing of war conflicts, their stereotyping, and their indoctrination of young minds. We have a daughter and when we were married, I accepted that we would raise her Disney-free, even though I have fond memories of watching Disney movies as a child. So our 9-year-old daughter watches Disney productions when she's with me, but I don’t know if she’s told my ex. I’m now remarried and my husband has family in California near Disneyland. He loved going there a kid and would like to offer the same experience to his stepdaughter. My daughter wants to go but is fearful of displeasing her father. (My ex is also very jealous and has forbidden our daughter to refer to my husband as her stepfather, but that's another story.) My husband argues that my ex does not have any say in the way we spend our money or where we want to take the girl for vacation, as long as she's not endangered, and Disneyland hardly counts as "endangerment of a child.” We're traveling to California in August so we have to make a decision. My ex will say that we had an agreement on how to raise our daughter and I’m violating it. Help!

—We’re Going to Disneyland?

Re: Disney: The axis of evil

• Options
    Woooooaaaaaah. 

I mean, the Disney stuff is weird - and you know I'm a princess hater - but the whole "you can't call your stepfather a stepfather"? 

I hope Prudie advised therapy for that kid. 
  • Options
    It sounds like there's an very good reason why the ex is an ex. What a controlling, insecure, little prick.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Maybe the ex got thrown into Disney jail at the Orlando parks for a day when he was a teen? (yes, it exists!!) That could explain the hostility and bitterness towards Disney...
  • Options
    The ex is crazy. 
  • Options
    I have had classes in school that mainly focused on the fact that the Disney movies and corporation are tainted and have awful hidden meanings. However, I did not let it ruin the whimsy and fun of the Disney movies for me. Looking too deep into anything can make it negative. If your little girl wants to go, then I say you should let her and enjoy it with her. If your ex has a problem with his daughter having fun, then he's a psycho and you may need to keep an eye on him.
  • Options
    @AuntFlo, it's Christmas!
  • Options
    You know what I don't get?  Do people think we're all named Prudie?  Or that there's someone on this board named Prudie that everyone asks for advice from?   Weird.  But entertaining.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards