Wedding Party
Options

Silent Bridesmaid

When I first asked the girls to be my bridesmaid, I included a childhood best friend that lives in another state, but I have always kept close contact with. She said yes, and was originally really excited about helping however she could from afar. I didn't expect much help because she was so far away, but I was happy that she was keeping me up to date.

I think the problems really began when we picked out bridesmaid dresses. She obviously wasn't able to shop with us, but I still sent her pictures of the dresses we looked at and such. She told me then, that she would order her dress a little later because she needed to get paid first. That was no big deal to me at all. Since then though, she's been silent on the wedding completely. She'll text me updates on her life, but if I try to mention the wedding she blows me off and I still have no idea if she even bought the dress at all. 

I asked her a few times, (maybe once a month), if she had gotten the dress yet, and every time it was the same answer (I'll get it soon don't worry)... the last time I asked she got really mad at me for asking. It's really kind of frustrating because I'm down to a month before my wedding... I don't know if she ever got the dress, and if she's even still planning to come to the wedding. I've called her and she hasn't answered and I have texted her numerous times with no response. At this point I assume she isn't even coming, but without knowing for sure I don't want to write her out, then lose her as a friend. Anyone deal with something like this and how did you deal with it?

Re: Silent Bridesmaid

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    When I first asked the girls to be my bridesmaid, I included a childhood best friend that lives in another state, but I have always kept close contact with. She said yes, and was originally really excited about helping however she could from afar. I didn't expect much help because she was so far away, but I was happy that she was keeping me up to date.

I think the problems really began when we picked out bridesmaid dresses. She obviously wasn't able to shop with us, but I still sent her pictures of the dresses we looked at and such. She told me then, that she would order her dress a little later because she needed to get paid first. That was no big deal to me at all. Since then though, she's been silent on the wedding completely. She'll text me updates on her life, but if I try to mention the wedding she blows me off and I still have no idea if she even bought the dress at all. 

I asked her a few times, (maybe once a month), if she had gotten the dress yet, and every time it was the same answer (I'll get it soon don't worry)... the last time I asked she got really mad at me for asking. It's really kind of frustrating because I'm down to a month before my wedding... I don't know if she ever got the dress, and if she's even still planning to come to the wedding. I've called her and she hasn't answered and I have texted her numerous times with no response. At this point I assume she isn't even coming, but without knowing for sure I don't want to write her out, then lose her as a friend. Anyone deal with something like this and how did you deal with it?

Didn't you just ask last month if you should delay your wedding? Glad it's still on, but your bridesmaid doesn't need to do anything.

Did she send back her RSVP card?

• Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. If she doesn't get the dress, she has taken herself out of the wedding. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Yes I did! Things really worked out for the best. I think it was all just mini melt down on my part! XD

She hasn't yet, but they aren't due for another week either.
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Yes I did! Things really worked out for the best. I think it was all just mini melt down on my part! XD

She hasn't yet, but they aren't due for another week either.

Okay, then, cool it for about 10 days! At that point, you and FI will have to call anyone who hasn't RSVP'ed, anyways.

Give her a call (vs text) and sort things out. If she chooses not to come, well, there's nothing you can do about that now so just take things in stride.

• Options
    Maybe she doesn't want to talk about your wedding, and she is ignoring you because you keep bringing it up. Some people think weddings are boring, if you want to talk about wedding stuff, come here, we freaking looooove weddings.

Wait until she sends her RSVP. My guess is she is coming and she has the dress.
    This. Or maybe the money didn't come together and she doesn't know how to tell you. I imagine I would be embarrassed if that happened to me. Plan for her to be in the wedding, but have a back up plan just in case too.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

Is there a particular store people were supposed to order the dresses from?  Could you call them and see if she placed an order for the dress?  At least that way you might know...

I suspect @cbrown828 is right, it's probably a financial issue and she is too embarassed to say anything.  I can't imagine why else she would be acting like this...

• Options
    Thanks for your responses everyone. I finally got a hold of her late last night and she told me she couldn't do the wedding and has just been putting off telling me.

I really wish she'd told me earlier than later since I don't mind her backing out, it's the not knowing that drove me crazy. 
  • Options
    Thanks for your responses everyone. I finally got a hold of her late last night and she told me she couldn't do the wedding and has just been putting off telling me.

I really wish she'd told me earlier than later since I don't mind her backing out, it's the not knowing that drove me crazy. 
    Oh that's too bad!  Did she give a reason?  It's a pain that she wasn't more straight-forward with you about it, but at this point there's nothing you can do about it.  I'm sorry this happened!  Will she be attending as a guest?
  • Options
    MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
    Did you ask her for a budget before you started shopping for dresses?  It sounds like she tried to hint that it was out of her budget, but you didn't ask.  If that's the case, it explains why she's been putting you off and you owe her an apology.  
  • Options

The way I see it, you have two options.

Option A: Assume she's coming, plan as though she is but have a back up (plan, not BM), just in case. If she doesn't show up on time and in the dress, she's taken herself out.

Option B: Call her, talk to her, ask her how things are doing and listen and ask her if she has any questions or concerns about the wedding. If she can't afford the dress it's possible that you'll have to come up with a fix for this, quick, especially if you still want her in your wedding.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards