July 2013 Weddings

Parent Gifts?

As I went to the jeweler to have our rings cleaned (ceremony in 2 weeks!) he was asking questions and one of them was what we bought our parents? I had never even thought of this! I'm sure he was just trying to get me to buy something, but did any of you buy your parents gifts? If yes, what? I'm panicked over here!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Parent Gifts?

• Parent gifts aren't a required thing, but it's absolutely a nice thing to do-especially if they're contributing to the wedding!

Due to budget reasons, FI and I aren't getting parents gifts.  We're not happy about it, but we'll see how the finances are the week before the wedding and decide whether or not we can afford it.  We're going to write them very nice, heart-felt notes.

It's hard to say what qualifies as a good gift.  If you get them anything, I suggest shopping for them like it was their birthday!
  • We will be getting them each an album after the wedding, but I haven't decided yet whether to get them something to open at the rehearsal dinner. I'm thinking some sort of framed engagement picture(s).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We will probably be bringing them something after the honeymoon.
  • I think we are going to order them wedding photo albums. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • our parents aren't contributing much to the wedding at all, so we didn't feel a need to buy an expensive gift. but we want to give them something at the rehearsal dinner to thank them for being supportive so we bought them nice picture frames, which they can use to put our wedding photo in!
    if my parents were paying for the wedding or contributing thousands of dollars, i'd definetely buy them something elaborate!
  • I'm giving my mom a robe, perfume, and I think a locket with our pictures in it. Giving his mom a robe, perfume, and maybe one of those dogeared necklaces. Giving my dad cuff links that say 'father of the bride' and 'I loved her first'(he chose 'I loved her first' as our father/daughter dance song). Zero idea what to get for her FI's dad.

And then we're going to give them all photobooks after the wedding.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I decided to give them a gift since they chipped in for the wedding. I got my dad some nice cufflinks to wear to the wedding and my mom a necklace to wear.

• drg424drg424 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper

Both of our families contributed immensly and we are doing photo books after the wedding. I'd like to get them something for the rehersal as well, just a small trinket of our appreciation and a public thank you, which is honestly all our families would want.

I think being sure to show your appreciation is the ultimate ticket here - the extent of the gift should go with your own parents/family's vibe and style. For us, the pictures will be the most appreciate and any other "stuff" would make them feel like we are wasting our money.

• Thanks ladies! I feel better now and think we'll do the same: a small token at the rehearsal dinner and then photo books after the wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards