Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Wedding Gifts with no card/name attached?

Hubby and I are still receiving wedding gifts from friends - Problem is we have a few items that don't have a name attached to it. We think that when our wedding party packed up our gifts after the reception a few of the cards fell off and got mixed up with the pile of loose cards did not come with a boxed gift. Not really sure what to do next? We asked our wedding party if they could at least recall who gave some of the bigger gifts, like a charcoal grill, but they didn't know.

Should we just thank everyone we have a card for and not mention a specific gift, but just thank them for their presence?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Anniversary

Re: Wedding Gifts with no card/name attached?

• Options
    Can you maybe ask through your family?  If I was in your shoes, my mom would probably be able to call people and say 'M got some gifts without cards attached and wants to properly thank everyone. Did you send them something?'  Or is everything off a registry?  Is there a way to check that way?  We got quite a few things off-registry, too, though...  Worst comes to worst a nice note saying 'thank you' in a generic way is better than nothing.  
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Options
    Actually yes, everything did come off of a registry, but the website doesn't show me who bought what. But I think I'll go ahead and give the store a call and see if maybe they can give me some info! After that I'll have my mom call around. Thanks!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • Options
    ally91ally91 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary

Same thing happened to me, my husband and dad thought it would be nice for me to be able to read the cards that night and started taking them off the gifts. Thankfully they only got about 4 off before they realized why that was a horrible decision. We matched up the tape on the cards to the rip in the wrapping paper for most, but there was one that we couldn't figure out.

I just started asking around, and happened to ask the right person! They thought it was hilarious and were thrilled I liked their gift (I phrased it as we got such-and-such as a gift in the most beautiful wrapping, but the card fell off so I don't know who to thank!)

Soon-to-be Mrs. Kent
  • Options
    arae81arae81 member
    5 Love Its First Comment

Do you have a wedding website? If you do and it had a good amount of traffic, update it with some photos of the big day and a message thanking everyone, explaining the situation.

If you have email addresses for your guests, you can send out a "blast" email to those who might have been involved... That's the only thing I would be able to think of in that situation.

For your registry, many of them will tell you, if an item was purchased online and shipped to you, where the order originated from.

• Options
    Try to narrow down who was there, but did not give a gift.

Then, contact them and ask if they gave that specific gift. Do not ask if they gave "any" gift.

"Hi, Barb, we got a beautiful teapot for our wedding, but it had no card attached. Might that have been from you?"

If so, Barb will tell you.

If Barb did not give you any gift, for whatever reason, she need only say the teapot did not come from her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards