Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Heinz History Center weddings

Does anybody know anything about weddings at the Heinz History Center? We really want to have the wedding there, but it's pricey and there doesn't seem to be any wiggle room for venue or catering fees. You have to use their caterer, and I'm concerned about their prices. Any experience with this place or ideas of how to save some money? I've already asked for off season rates, and they say they don't change their fees based on the time of year. Thanks!!

Re: Heinz History Center weddings

• Options
    I don't have any experience negotiating/planning a wedding there but we went to a wedding there recently. The venue was great and lots of fun for the cocktail hour and the ballroom was nice for dinner with the balcony area. However, I wouldn't say it was any more special than other weddings we've been to that weren't as pricey.

When we were looking for our own wedding, the catering was very pricey and way out of our budget of $40-$60 per person. I suppose if you have your heart set on this venue, you could save money elsewhere (your dress, the florist, DJ, smaller guest list, et cetera). Otherwise, there are other venues that may not be as expensive including the Warhol, other Carnegie Museums, et cetera. Good luck!
    Married since May 12, 2012
  • Options
    Honestly, if you want it that badly, you'll make it work. Cut your flower budget or do them yourself, go to DB for your dress, skip the limo, do your own hair/make-up, shop sales, make your own invites, etc. 

Like PP said, there are plenty of other unique, off the wall venues in this area. PP mentioned two, but I would add the PPG Zoo and Aquarium, the Aviary, Mattress Factory, Twentieth Century Club, etc. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Everyone else gave you good advice.  FWIW, I chose a venue outside my original budget becausewe both loved it.  I chose a more affordable florist and DJ, and DIY'd my invites to make up the cost.

No regrets here.
  • Options
    Britt0412Britt0412 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Just my opinion: I think it depends on your guest list for whether you use the first floor or one of the really unique spaces versus the upstairs ballroom. But if you use the ballroom, I feel like there is a lot you need to do (flowers, lighting, linens, etc.) to transform it from a plainer room to an event space. At that point, you could be in a ballroom anywhere. But if you are able to use one of the other spaces throughout the HHC, it would probably be pretty unique and memorable--and perhaps worth the splurge. Just my two cents!

And ditto Panther's recommendations. I'm partial to the aquarium since that's my venue, but it really is unique, fun, and affordable.
  • Options
    I'm having my reception at the Heinz History Center in December.

What really sold me was how great Lori is the day of planning.
    The other places we looked at didnt even compare to how much she does the day of.

She organizes everything !

It's nice to know that you don't have to worry about coordinating what time , where the vendors need to pull in, and how to get there and etc. - she calls everyone the week before to schedule it.

She also responds to your emails and phone calls quick !

Hope the meeting with the caterer went well!
    happy planning xoxo Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards