Kentucky-Louisville

My Reviews: Gardencourt, James Byrd Photo, Plehn's Bakery

My wedding reception was at Gardencourt at the Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary on November, 3, 2013.  I wanted to share my positive experience with 3 of my vendors.  Our service was at St. Agnes, which is the ultimate church for any dream wedding.  No review needed :)

Gardencourt - overall  8/10 score
http://www.lpts.edu/event-venues/gardencourt
Pros:
-Great location in Cherokee park
-Beautiful gardens
-Beautiful victorian/vintage-y feel on the inside (love the wood paneling, the flooring, the staircase and the fireplaces in each room
-Large private area upstairs for keeping the wedding party's stuff safe, touch ups and private bathroom
-Can use any vendor you want for liquor, wine & beer
Cons:
-Must use the Upper Crust (good, but pricey)
-Limited to 300 guests inside (additional capacity outside, but costs extra and must pay for tents or risk it)
-Have to pay additional for own security
-Kind of pricey, but not as expensive as some of the current trendy spots in town

James Byrd Photography - overall 10/10 score
-Husband & wife team were able to divide and conquer to ensure that no moment went uncaptured
-Tons of experience (portfolio to prove it)
-Very professional yet casual enough to make you feel comfortable; instantly felt like they understood our unique style
-Made themselves available to shoot our rehearsal & rehearsal dinner; easily traveled from church to venue and everywhere in between (including scouting cool photo locations!)
-Knew all the "must have" shots that I did not know to ask for
-Fair pricing; access to photo library online, disc and printing capabilities
-Easy to get in touch with, willing to answer all my silly questions (multiple times), very quick turnaround on final photos
-A+++ recommendation
Cons:
-This isn't really a "con"...but I don't really have anything negative to say. My parents thought the price was expensive, but my dad also wanted us to have a family friend use a digital camera to take photos instead of a professional.  However, I thought the price was fair, and definitely NOT the most expensive...especially since other photographers that I shopped were not as good quality but higher priced.

Plehn's Bakery  - Overall 10/10 score
http://www.plehns.com/
Pros:
-Taste was amazing! I wanted white on white traditional wedding cake flavor with a not-so-traditional design.
-Service was amazing! I live out of state and came into town one weekend to go cake shopping. Of all the bakeries in town, Plehn's was the ONLY one that could see me that day.  Everyone else wanted me to come back during the week (impossible since I live out of state). 
-Recreated my photo perfectly!  My cake was a remake of the custom cake designed for the owner of the notorious Dylan's Candy Bar that was featured in Martha Stewart Weddings.  I actually think mine turned out better :)
-Two words: EDIBLE GLITTER.  Yea, so I had to pay $15 extra for it.  So what?! 
-Delivery: on time and no issues
-Price: amazing deal.  I wanted 3 tiers and then sheet cakes to feed my 350+ guests.  They did not pressure me to get a bigger display cake.  Instead, they suggested I get a nice 3 tier and supplement with he sheet cakes.  The cost was so fair that I had enough money left over to pay for my groom's cake (a custom Philadelphia Eagles 3D eagle head).  I had planned for a separate budget to pay for the groom's cake... but did not need it...and still came in under budget.
-A+++ recommendation
Cons:
-None!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards