South Carolina-Charleston

Caterer?

I'm getting married April 19th next year at Alhambra Hall, and I was wondering if anyone has input about caterers. I'm trying to keep it as low-cost as I can, but I also recognize that food and booze are what people will remember. We'll probably have between 100 and 120 guests. My fiance is dead-set on having shrimp and grits, other than that I'm pretty open-minded about the menu. Who do y'all think is the biggest bang for your buck? How much does catering cost in general, and how much of a deposit is required? I am pretty clueless about this stuff so far, but I need to get booking and I don't want to be taken for a fool for not doing my research. I'm hearing so many different things from different people, and I'm hoping to see some consistent reviews of a few caterers so I know where to start.

Thank you for your help. 

Re: Caterer?

• ScMOBScMOB member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker

My oldest daughter had her reception at Alhambra as well.  We used Curtis at Royal Grand Events.  He is FABULOUS!!!   Great to work with, responds immediately to emails.  Food and presentation are excellent.  We had Shrimp and Grits and had numerous guests tell us that it was the best they had ever had.  He is very reasonable and I think would really work with you and your budget.   I HIGHLY recommend!!

Good Luck and Congratulations!

http://www.royalgrandevents.com/

• The best shrimp and grits I have had at a wedding around here was Hamby's. They were too pricey for us though. :( I originally wanted wanted shrimp and grits as well and we had a tasting with Crazy Dutchman. I didn't care for their shrimp and grits though, so we are going in a completely different direction. haha. 

GOOD LUCK! :)
  • Hamby's and Crazy Dutchman are both superb.  Duvall catering is also a great one. 
    http://duvallevents.com/

If you're trying to get something on a smaller budget I also recommend to my brides First Impressions Catering.  They're privately owned, much smaller than the "big names", and willing to work with your budget.

• I used The Crazy Dutchman for my wedding and my guests raved about the food.  We had shrimp and grits, mac n cheese, chicken marsala, mashed potato bar and corn bread with honey butter.  Amazing and Karen is awesome to work with. 
  • Go to the Crazy Dutchman!!! Reasonable prices for food and liquor, and they also have connections with an event rental place for linens, tables, chairs, ANYTHING your venue might not have. I am from Charleston, so have had plenty of shrimp and grits, but Crazy Dutchman's were some of the best... Not to mention how great Hans and Karen are to work with... Amazing Wedding!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards