Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Post wedding - fried hair

It's about a month after our wedding, which was by far the happiest day of my life. The night of the wedding when we got to our hotel, it took DH an hour to comb through my hair and get all the knots out. However I almost never use heat on my hair, or even extra hair products. I'm a shower and let it air dry kind of girl, except on the rare occasions that I'm going out and then MAYBE I'll blow dry/straighten/curl. Even then I'm religious about using a heat protectant on my hair. It's taken me 5 years to grow it out to where it is now (about the middle of my back), and I'm pretty attached to it. My hairdresser used HP, but with all the heat from the curling iron, plus about a gazillion pounds of hairspray, its just kind of dead looking. It used to be super shiny and soft, and now the bottom 4 inches of my hair is crunchy, and just poofs into a ball of frizz if I even try to brush it. I'm trying to avoid cutting it all off, as DH is also a big fan of long hair and is constantly going on about how gorgeous my hair is (used to be...). Anyone have any recommendations about a deep moisture treatments? I tried doing the coconut oil treatment but it just made my hair smell nice and a little bit shinier, but it's still fried.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Post wedding - fried hair

• Options
    I'm very similar to you - I just wash (except I do blow dry) my super long hair and I try to take good care of it. I had to get my hair done for my brother's wedding and after it sounded similar to yours. My mom dyes her hair at home and doesn't use the conditioners that come with so she gives them to me. I washed my hair and put an entire tube of that crap in my hair and then got out of the shower and let it sit for like an hour. That seemed to help. I don't know if you have access to any of these deep conditioners that come with hair color, but I would recommend something like that. Even if your hair isn't colored - the color conditioners help with drying a lot. 

Sorry if I'm not much help - I'm going to come back later to see what other suggestions people have! :)
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I've bleached my hair about 7 times I'm over that phase but it took a while for my hair to be. I use Ausie conditioner for my short ish hair. It's at my shoulders and I use about a palm full every time. I wash my hair first put the conditioner in and don't rinse it out until the last minute. Also I would let my hair get greasy, (gross I know :P) and brush it. The natural oil from your hair can help if it gets distributed throughout your hair. 
  • Options
    SuperMintySuperMinty member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2013
    I air-dry, too. My hair is to my waist, super thick and beach-wavy. I also don't use products that contain dimethicone (the ingredient in a lot of conditioners that smooths hair down to make it temporarily silky), so any time I get my hair professionally styled it makes it feel terrible after all of the brushing/spraying. It kind of seems like they don't care what it's going to look like after the event.

I suggest buying a clarifying shampoo (Neutrogena makes a good one) then doing a deep condition. And maybe just putting your hair up after it dries and leave it alone for a couple of days to let your natural oils replenish like PP said, but your scalp may be dried from all of the products she used and could over-compensate by becoming more oily for a while. 

When I deep condition I make my own at home with about 1/8 cup conditioner, 1/8 cup organic coconut oil, and a teaspoon of honey. I microwave it 15 seconds to prevent the honey from bleaching my hair, then apply it to my hair from the ears down and leave on for 20 min before rinsing.

Sorry if this sounds crazy. ;-)

Edit: Spelling fail.
  • Options
    I think you should try keratin treatment. I heard it really helps.
  • Options

When I had longer hair & use to over process it I used Infusion 23 and that would get my hair back to amazing shape after a few days. You may also want to use more of an organic shampoo as those are less harsh on your hair.

You may have to get a little pit of the dead hair cut off to help promote some healthy growth.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards