Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Late Night Snacks

We're getting married at 3pm.  After the ceremony, we're having a cocktail hour with an open bar and pub foods.  At 5pm we're having dinner.   I assume after dinner is when we'll cut the cake and I have tons of cake.  There are only 25 guests and the cake is five huge tiers (it will serve 250-300), plus we have gluten-free cupcakes in three different flavors (and there are, of course, gluten-free dinner choices).  Then  I was thinking around 9pm bringing out some snacks.  It isn't really "late" (we expect it to be over by midnight at the latest) but I'd like to offer one more snack before people head home.  I was going to offer hot, fresh doughnuts, plus some big soft pretzels with various dipping sauces (sweet and savory) and maybe some chips and salsa and queso. 

My FMIL thinks the late night snack is overkill, especially since everyone will have more than enough cake (we're also boxing up the cake for people to take some home.)   I like the idea though, especially since we're having a full premium open bar all night.  I think people like to nibble when they drink and maybe people don't want to eat that much wedding cake.   So what do you think?  Are the snacks too much?  

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Late Night Snacks

• I want to come to your wedding. We had a ton of cake too. We packed up the extra as favors. Yum!
  • Thanks for the replies.  I'm glad my feeling about it was right on.

@lobster, I just wanted a really big cake.  I wanted a "big wedding" feel even though it's a small guest list.  Also:  I LOVE CAKE.  I would eat cake every day five times a day if I could.  Cookie Monster has nothing on me and my love of cake.  In fact, Cookie Monster has a passing teenage crush on cookies in comparison to my deep, abiding, forever love of cake.

I have to work out a lot to maintain my cake habit, but I'm okay with that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're getting married at 3pm.  After the ceremony, we're having a cocktail hour with an open bar and pub foods.  At 5pm we're having dinner.   I assume after dinner is when we'll cut the cake and I have tons of cake.  There are only 25 guests and the cake is five huge tiers (it will serve 250-300), plus we have gluten-free cupcakes in three different flavors (and there are, of course, gluten-free dinner choices).  Then  I was thinking around 9pm bringing out some snacks.  It isn't really "late" (we expect it to be over by midnight at the latest) but I'd like to offer one more snack before people head home.  I was going to offer hot, fresh doughnuts, plus some big soft pretzels with various dipping sauces (sweet and savory) and maybe some chips and salsa and queso. 

My FMIL thinks the late night snack is overkill, especially since everyone will have more than enough cake (we're also boxing up the cake for people to take some home.)   I like the idea though, especially since we're having a full premium open bar all night.  I think people like to nibble when they drink and maybe people don't want to eat that much wedding cake.   So what do you think?  Are the snacks too much?  

I'm all for late night snacks.

And wow....you said you like cake and all, but 5 tiers?!  We had 4 tiers for 125 people and we took home the entire top layer to freeze and the huge bottom layer which we gave away as much as we could the following day.  You're going to have a massive amount left over.  Enjoy!
  • kipnuskipnus member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    That all sounds amazing!
  • I like the idea of late night snacks but since you're going to have so much cake, maybe skip the doughnuts and go for more savory options...

• We're going to have German Currywurst and rolls as midnight snack. It's a regional snack, so we were happy to incorporate it into our wedding. We don't have any vegetarians or lactose intolarant guests on our guest list, so it should be fine. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards