Snarky Brides

Inappropriate Photographs?

Yesterday, my FB greeted me with a picture that made me do a double-take. It was a newborn baby, fresh from the womb, cord still attached. Thankfully, it was in black and white. I was a little freaked out. I decided in concept it was kind of beautiful and maybe (not sure) I might want pics of this for myself, but pro ones? And I certainly wouldn't be posting them anywhere. 

So my question to you is.......professional photographers in the delivery room and pictures of this made public: yay or nay?

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14

Re: Inappropriate Photographs?

• I'm perfectly okay with a clean baby swaddled in a blanket, but naked, covered in placenta juice and blood with a cord still attached isn't something I want to see. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I can see how someone would want professional photos of this event - it could be very artistic, real and special. Personally, I would feel like a paparazzi victim during the most strenuous, yet happy moment of my life and I think it would make me feel conflicted. Not for me. 

As for posting them on social media - absolutely not. People WAY over-share intimate details and photos of their lives. IMHO it almost takes away from keeping some of these special moments between you and your nearest and dearest. People can know I delivered. Fine. I might even post the stats (time, length, weight..) on social media and email a delivery room photo to a few select family/friends. But I would never post photos like that for the world to see.
    *********************************************************************************

• swimmy1988swimmy1988 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    Nay. To all.

It's cute when there are pictures of the newborns in blankets, but cord still attached covered in white gunk and other womb juices, is gross. Yes, it's natural way of life, but some things should be kept off Facebook.

ETA: I'll admit I thought this thread would have us posting some of the most inappropriate pictures we've seen . But that might be against TOS... lol.
    Married as of June 22, 2013!!!

• Ummm - there are enough people in the room without adding a pro photographer to the mix! When DS was born there were 10 people in the room (and no, I didn't do the 'bring the whole family to witness this wonderful moment' thing.) It was exH and I, plus the medical team.

For us it was a private moment, when we went from being a couple to being a family.

No to photographers.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @swimmy1988

Hahaha!  I wanted to lure people in!

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • No. No no no no no no no no. No. No. NO.

Maybe you'd get me to do a photo of the baby when it's all cleaned up in a blanket with me, but I hate cameras so odds are that would go undocumented, too.
  • rajahmdrajahmd member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited August 2013
  • Placenta juices to start out the day. Whew - good morning! Hope no one is eating breakfast! ;-)

Also, I'd like to get professional photos taken during birth - but I would DEFINITELY keep them private. Posting them on Facebook is really inappropriate. 
  • I'm in the "fuck no" camp to a pro photographer in the delivery room, period. One of the most intimate experiences of your life and you want to invite a stranger in there to document it? 

As for placenta juice on FB, why stop there? Why not have a close up of your vagina as the head crowns? A nice canted angle of your episiotomy being stitched up? 

• daria24 said:
    I'm in the "fuck no" camp to a pro photographer in the delivery room, period. One of the most intimate experiences of your life and you want to invite a stranger in there to document it? 

As for placenta juice on FB, why stop there? Why not have a close up of your vagina as the head crowns? A nice canted angle of your episiotomy being stitched up? 

All of this, especially the bolded.
  • Hell no.

And the subject line totally drew me in......

I've never witnessed a live birth but from the stories I've heard, when it's my time, I don't want a pro photographer in there. "Can you stop pushing so I can get a picture of you and your OB together? Kthanx." Yeah, no.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • I cant imagine anyone would feel attractive while pushing 6-10 pounds out their vagina.
    Married as of June 22, 2013!!!

• No way that such a private moment. The fewer people involved at the birth of my first child the better (besides FI of course). Pictures at a few days old or even at the hospital are fine.

Anniversary

• I don't really want a whole lot of people in the delivery room in general, and personally don't want to even hold the baby until the doctors clean him/her off and do the apgar test. No professional pictures, no pictures of the baby covered in slime and whatnot. 

I'm not really a fan of posting pictures of your naked child on FB in any capacity. Baby butt pictures don't bother me but full frontal is a little much.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
    No freaking way would I want a professional photographer in the delivery room.  The most I'd want besides the medical personnel is my mother, my child's father, and my doula if I have one.

I love newborn pictures, but after the child is cleaned up-not when they are covered with placenta fluid and still have a piece of umbilical cord attached to them.
  • No. No. NO.

I don't want some person I barely know taking pictures of me and/or my newborn while we're first getting to know each other...

And I didn't want to see any of that nasty stuff that was from ME having a baby, much less seeing someone else's!!
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • No way! I think it's weird.
  • no no no no no no no no no.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I had a C-Section so that would make for some pretty disgusting pictures.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @harry I feel you on the crude ways some articles are written, but I don't think it's wrong to be excited about babies. Some of the articles make me want to clutch my pearls (shout out to queerfemme).

Previously Alaynajuliana

• Not a chance in hell will I have a photographer in there, let alone post it to FB. And this royal baby watch crap makes me queasy, no one deserves that level of prodding into such intimate moments.
  • A) I'm glad I'm not the only one who would probably be okay with meeting my child after the baby's been given a quick rinse!

B) I agree about the pictures, I get uncomfortable when people post pictures of the newborns first feeding! I'm totally cool with breast feeding and a baby is hungry when it's hungry in a restaurant or not but really did I need your boob in my news feed?!
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
    I think I'd like to have a professional photographer there when I give birth. I would enjoy having pictures of that moment taken by someone who can really capture it well. That's kind of a strange attitude for me to have though considering I don't really want anyone but my SO and a midwife near me when I give birth.

But I certainly wouldn't share those pictures on FB.

Of course that's a few years away so maybe I'll change my mind - about the photographer not about posting pictures on FB.

• Harry87 said:
    Okay, I have to share this Craigslist request:

We are an early 30's, very photogenic couple. We want a photographer with a tasteful, but artistic eye for composition to be present and shooting throughout the birth of our son. The attached photos are examples of the kind of work we're looking for, although we hope for some even more imaginative frames...

We are planning an all-natural water birth. It will be at a hospital, but at a birthing center where only the two of us and the midwife will be present in the room. You will have creative license to shoot everything from the moment you arrive until the moment you leave after the baby is born. This isn't for the squeamish, but there is a lot of poetry and authenticity in a birth, so we're hoping that you will be creatively inspired and some amazing photography will come of this...

He is a tall, handsome muscular artist who is covered in original (not cliche) tattoos.
    She is a beautiful and petite Japanese woman with the guts (no pun intended) to go through birth without any medications, interventions or Western medical ideas about how a baby should be born. It will be very intimate.

Pay is negotiable. We're hoping you're so intrigued and creatively inspired that you'll do it for free. If not, and your portfolio shows that you're worth it, we would be willing to pay $150. Please email contact info and a link where we can see some of your work to the reply link on this posting. Our son will be born sometime in the next two weeks. You will have to be on-call the same way the midwife is during this time frame.

This whole thing terrifies me, but I'm snickering at the whole idea of "Pay is negotiable, but we'd prefer free." I wonder if they got any nibbles.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Hahaha! Oh, Craigslist.....
  • Hells to the NO.

I don't want photographers of any sort anywhere near me or my child until the baby is cleaned off and I don't look like such a hot mess.  (At least the first one).  I also want very few people in the delivery room.  At most, just me, DH and the staff, and possibly our mothers.  No camera people, or fathers and siblings.

I hate this oversharing business.  It annoys the hell out of me.  My perspective may change a bit when I become a parent, but I hate seeing pictures of people's kids Every. Single. Day on FB.  I don't want my children to have that much of an internet footprint.  Sorry, but I'm a private person.  To each their own, I guess.

• If I was a sex offender I would totally respond to that add.

Anniversary

• TKzillaTKzilla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2013
  • While delivering a baby is common, it's also delicate. Bad things can happen. I don't think the delivery room the best place for a stranger with a camera to be.

Also, I judge the appropriateness of baby pictures based on whether or not the baby will be mortified when they see those pictures as an adult. If the answer is "probably yes," then save the first poop in the big boy toilet Kodak moment to your own memory and move on.
  • My ex-husband tried to take pictures in the delivery room but was too queasy because I was having an emergency C section.  The anesthesiologist said he would take them.  I have pictures of the exact moment my doctor pulled out my son, and pictures of my insides sitting on my torso.  Of course this was all before digital cameras so I had no idea of what the pictures were before I got them developed.  It took me a few minutes to figure out that those shiny bloody blobs were my intestines. EEEW.  I did save them and tucked them behind more appropriate birth photos in the scrapbook.  I'm just glad the anesthesiologist was taking pictures from behind my head and not the other way around.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards