Getting in Shape

Paleo question

I have been eating a paleo diet for the past week and a half.  I did eat a little bread over the weekend.  Yesterday I put chickpeas on my salad (not realizing that they were not paleo) Then later that night I ate veggies and more chickpeas as a snack.  Well, I am bloated like crazy I have been to the bathroom numerous times today (I am usually a once a day person, twice tops) and I am so incredibly gassy.  But, I have eaten chickpeas prior to this paleo diet, as well as home made hummus.  It never really bothered me before, at least I didn't think.  So my question is, is it because I was so good with not having legumes that when I did it upset me??  Or have they probably always caused me this much gas/bloating??  Thanks! 

Re: Paleo question

• I don't know your body, like xcal said, but you have been "so good" with your diet for just a week and a half.. So if they didn't do that to you before it's probably not the reason. A week and a half is not long enough for your body to freak out at something like that. We aren't meant to have dairy at ALL, but you can go a week or a few without it and eat it again no problem. 

Legumes are known to cause a lot of bloating/gas in everyone, though. So it very well could have always treated you this way and you just never noticed. If you're really curious about what legumes do to you, then test it again. Eat a very basic, non-gassy diet for a few days (preferably at least 72 hours that's how long it takes our bodies to kick out any excess stuff it doesn't like) and then add them into your diet for a meal again. 
    If the same thing occurs, you know your body hates chickpeas. 
  • Thanks so much for the replies! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards