Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Afraid to Lose a Friend Over This...

My wedding is just over a month away and I am fretting about making this decision, probably more so than I should be.  My friend, who has also been my hair stylist for the last few years hasn't been as quite as accommodating as I hoped she would be.  She charged me $25 for my trial & didn't even finish the look, but from what I could tell it will be very pretty.  She won't do my hair at the venue and is insisting that I get my hair done first, even though I would like to go last.  The venue is an hour away & she is already going to the wedding so I assumed she would just come early & do our hair.  The photographer will be taking photos of us getting ready and it's way out of her way to go to the hair salon.  My fiancé's cousin is willing to do the hair at the venue for $10 less per person than my friend.  I know I am probably overthinking this but any suggestions / advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated :)

Re: Afraid to Lose a Friend Over This...

• erinls36 said:

My wedding is just over a month away and I am fretting about making this decision, probably more so than I should be.  My friend, who has also been my hair stylist for the last few years hasn't been as quite as accommodating as I hoped she would be.  She charged me $25 for my trial & didn't even finish the look, but from what I could tell it will be very pretty.  She won't do my hair at the venue and is insisting that I get my hair done first, even though I would like to go last.  The venue is an hour away & she is already going to the wedding so I assumed she would just come early & do our hair.  The photographer will be taking photos of us getting ready and it's way out of her way to go to the hair salon.  My fiancé's cousin is willing to do the hair at the venue for $10 less per person than my friend.  I know I am probably overthinking this but any suggestions / advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated :)

I would just be honest with her about your concerns.    It's your wedding day, and it's certainly ok to want to be accomodated for timing, etc.   Just tell her that you want your hair done at the venue, and ask if she can accomodate that.  If not, tell her you need to look into other people, because you can't worry about running around that day.

It's certainly appropriate for her to charge for your trial, but I'm not sure why she didn't finish it.

• She probably wants to do your hair first so that she can make it perfect. I would let her know you have concerns; she might be able to be more flexible, but not if you won't talk to her about it.
  • When a service is involved, I would go with the least emotionally attached person. You love your friend, but IMO, I would say "I would rather you enjoy my wedding than worry about doing all our hair"
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I have to agree with stylist that you should get your hair done first. Because you are the important female of the day and you want them to have enough time to do your hair the way you want it. If time runs short and they need to do a simplier hair style on a BM, you are less likely to be upset about that then if your time gets cut short & you don't get the look  you want for your wedding day.

What about using both girls to split up the responsbility? Have your friend do you & the other girl start on BM in the mean time

• GB520GB520 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Grabows14 said:
    When a service is involved, I would go with the least emotionally attached person. You love your friend, but IMO, I would say "I would rather you enjoy my wedding than worry about doing all our hair"
    Agreed. My mom and FSIL are hair dressers but I plan on finding a separate professional so they can enjoy their time. Also if you hate it then you won't feel bad if it's not your friend.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards