Registry and Gift Forum

How do I say I don't want gifts but if you must....here is the registry?

Do we don't want gifts...but some people feel that they must buy a gift for a wedding. If they feel they must bring a gift, I made a registry with a couple of things because if we do get gifts I don't want it to be a bunch of random stuff from a bunch of stores. . I didn't include the registry info in the invitation but i wanted to put something on my wedding website about this. How do I say it without sounding like I really want gifts? 

Re: How do I say I don't want gifts but if you must....here is the registry?

• SofiaOsb said:
    Do we don't want gifts...but some people feel that they must buy a gift for a wedding. If they feel they must bring a gift, I made a registry with a couple of things because if we do get gifts I don't want it to be a bunch of random stuff from a bunch of stores. . I didn't include the registry info in the invitation but i wanted to put something on my wedding website about this. How do I say it without sounding like I really want gifts? 
    Good job not puting registry info in invitation. Just tell a few family members and bridesmaids, they can spread the word if anyone asks. People will ask where you are registered and you can tell them. The key thing is waiting for people to ask and not just telling everyone. Also if you don't really really want gifts, you can say oh we are saving for new home, honeymoon, etc if you like.
  • SofiaOsb said:
    Ditto PPs. Tell your WP and close family members this-that you really don't want gifts but if people insist, that you're registered XYZ.

It will spread by word of mouth.  I also usually just google the couple's name to find their registries, so people will probably find it that way too.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

Not one person asked where we had registered. I'm pretty sure they just Googled or checked the major stores for registry info. Your guests are likely capable of doing the same.

Just keep in mind, if someone wants to get you a random gift...they will still get you a random gift even if you're registered for gifts in many different price ranges. Evidence being the two gifts from Things Remembered and two gifts of personalized bottles of wine that we received.

• I would just delete the registry tab from your website entirely. That way the only people who will know are those who know the "just google it" trick (which I never knew before TK) or go to the trouble to ask.
  • Well, I wouldn't use that wording "We really don't want gifts but if you must..." because it sounds dismissive of the other person's feelings and that person can hear an unvoiced sigh of resignation and exasperation accompanying it.  It just isn't a gracious way to reply.

If you're going to have a registry, direct people to the registry.  Obviously, don't put anything on the registry that you really don't want to receive.  Let it go at that.
  • We are going to tell people that their attendance is all we ask for but if they would like to get us something we are registered at xyz.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards