Wedding Invitations & Paper

The "M" on an RSVP

Hello! This may sound silly but I ordered my RSVP's and I originally thought that I needed to fill out the line with the names that follows the M______

After doing a quick google search, it looks like the guests actually fill that out?!?!?

Can someone please verify???? I'm confused :)

Re: The "M" on an RSVP

• M is for Mr., Ms. or Mrs. This guest fills it out.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Or Miss, if any guest uses that.
  • Jen4948 said:

M is for Mr., Ms. or Mrs. This guest fills it out.

Or 'Messrs.' for two men who have the same last name. :)
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
    Or 'Messrs.' for two men who have the same last name. :)
    Or Mmes. or Mlles. for two women with the same last name.

We're having fun with this, but it could stand for any of those things.
  • We are! The only time I've ever seen RSVP cards be pre-filled-out has been here on TK, and that was done by a bride who was worried about people RSVPing for additional guests. I never checked back to see if it worked or it people still added on guests....
    Anniversary

• We filled ours out for people. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieL73 said:
    We filled ours out for people. 
    Someone else did it, too, though, @AddieL73. I remember the thread vaguely and the bride was all like, "I want to invite my FI's family and his over-18 cousins, but not the under-18 cousins, even though it splits up families!" I wish I could remember enough more to look for it. 

Did you have anyone try to add additional guests?
    Anniversary

• No, we didn't have anyone try to add additional guests on the RSVP card. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • And if any of your guests are doctors, they will cross out the M and write in Dr. A couple of our guests did that. I suppose if you have any reverends they would do the same.
  • I wrote mine in, because I didn't want rando additional guests. That was not me concerned about splitting up families, however.

I also didn't even have the "M" put on because a large proportion of our guests have alternative titles. So instead of them or me crossing it out, I just wrote "Mr/Ms/Miss/Mrs./Messrs/Mmes/Majesty/Major/Mamadukes" where appropriate.

...Perhaps that got a little carried away...
  • We didn't write it in for our guests.  We only had one guest try to add an additional person.
  • mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper

And if any of your guests are doctors, they will cross out the M and write in Dr. A couple of our guests did that. I suppose if you have any reverends they would do the same.
    For this reason we put Name _____________, not M ___________...and it also seems not everyone is bright enough to figure out what M_________ means, sad to say.
  • mlg78 said:

And if any of your guests are doctors, they will cross out the M and write in Dr. A couple of our guests did that. I suppose if you have any reverends they would do the same.
    For this reason we put Name _____________, not M ___________...and it also seems not everyone is bright enough to figure out what M_________ means, sad to say.
    That's what our invites have, too, "Name." (We haven't gotten them letterpressed yet, but that's what the design has.) Is that a bad? Should we request "M" instead, or does it matter?
  • I was always under the impression that it started as a French thing, that the "M" was actually shorthand for "M'appelle" which is french for "Name," going along with the RSVP standing for "Répondez s'il vous plaît."  I hadn't ever heard anything different until I started lurking here and reading everyone's responses about it being a placeholder for a person's title!  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards