Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

XP: Photo Timeline

I'm trying to decide how long I should have my photographer on site.  Well, make that how long I can AFFORD to have him/her on site...  lol  Photography is a high priority for me, right after food/guest happiness so I am willing to spend a little more if I have to.  On a side note the DJ we just signed a contract with is $150 UNDER budget so I have a little bit of wiggle room.

Winter wedding with a 11:00 ceremony and lunch reception all at the same venue...

First Look: 9:00-10:15 (my sister/family will take the getting ready pictures if I need them to)
**Go into hiding at 10:15 until the 11:00 ceremony so the guests don't see me.
Prelude: 10:30 (take pictures of guest arrival, guest book, etc.)
Ceremony: 11:00-11:20ish
Receiving Line: 11:20-11:45 (about 75 guests)
Pictures/Cocktail Hour: 11:45-12:30
Entrance/First Dance/Cake Cutting: 12:30-12:45 (no parent dances scheduled right now)
Lunch/Table Visits: 12:45-1:45
Dancing/Mingling/Party Time: 2:00-4:00

My current front runner for photographer has offered an a la carte package of two photographers for 5 hours at a price I can afford (only $28 over budget with sales tax).  I can add an extra hour for $50 but I'm not sure if that is for one or two photographers.  With my current timeline the five hours would be up right as lunch would be ending so there would be very few pictures of people dancing (if they even dance at an afternoon wedding) and hanging out so I think I would want at least one extra hour to get more of those pictures.

Based on what I have outlined would you do the extra hour?  Adjust the timeline is some way?  Is 9:00 too early for a first look?  The venue has an on site salon and spa so I can get ready there so I don't think being ready in time would be an issue...

Thanks,
April

UPDATE:  I signed with a photographer that was able to create a custom package for me with 7 hours of coverage with two photographers!  I am only over budget by $130 (sales tax) and I am getting a free engagement session.  Thanks for everyone's advice and feedback!

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg

Re: XP: Photo Timeline

• Options
    I would book the extra hour. We had the exact same issue with our draft timeline, and we have decided to book an extra hour, maybe even two, so that the photographer will get photos of the first dance, the cake cutting, etc

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    April, as a photographer I think that your timeline is good, however there are various transitions that will eat up time, and 45 minutes for pictures is tight if you have a lot of family pictures you want.  It is always better to be safe than sorry.  I would always shoot with 8 hour for every couple of mine so we don't leave anything out.  The creative eye of the photographer can be wonderful for detail shots and getting ready, if he os only $50 an hour and you saved $150 on the catering I would at least book 2 hours more with him/her.
  • Options
    I agree with Tyvan01. Also weddings have a tendency to run late so you don't want to lose your photographer during the important things like cutting the cake and you first dance.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards