October 2013 Weddings
Options

Vows

What is everyone doing? Writing their own, or using a "standard" set? 

If you are writing your own, are you writing them alone or with FI? Will you be sharing them with anyone to make sure they "sound right?" How about timing- will you tell FI how long they are and the general layout so they can be along the same lines?

We are writing our own and not sharing them with each other. FI wants me to give an approx page estimate but so far they are only rough draft written on notebook paper and I write big. I kind of want to share them with MOH to just make sure they make sense. KWIM?
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Vows

• Options
    I'm completely writing the ceremony from top to bottom, and passing it by fiance and officiant to make sure it reads right.  So far it has been work, but not particularly difficult.  
  • Options
    EmilyTork said:
    What is everyone doing? Writing their own, or using a "standard" set? 
    We're basing ours off of a ceremony written by a Buddhist priest but adding in personal readings and the such.

• Options
    We picked a set of vows our officiant gave us, but they aren't the traditional ones.
    image 209 Invited
    image 151 Yes
    image 46 No

Daisypath Wedding tickers 

• Options
    We are also writing our entire ceremony, but took inspiration from the millions of resources that are available. Basically we didn't love any one particular FULL ceremony so we pieced together what we liked from a bunch of different sources. My uncle is officiating so he will be writing the sermon or "wedding remarks" on his own based off of the message from the rest of the ceremony.

we wrote our own vows together, but as a way of adding an individual touch we are writing letters to each other to exchange the morning of the wedding. We are each going to go into a private room and read the letters out loud while the videographer records. Then that footage will be used in the beginning of our wedding video to narrate the whole bride and groom getting ready part. This way we still have documented personalized messages without reading aloud to the whole congregation...but the vows that everyone gets to hear are still personalized
  • Options
    We are picking from the ones allowed by our church... not sure i could write my own vows without being a hysterical mess!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We're meeting with our officiant tonight, so we'll see what we end up with.

The first officiant we were going to go with, she had some okay vows, but nothing that really fit 'us'.  So, I think no matter what we hear, we're going to end up tweaking it some.

And, not to thread jack, but, in the first officiant's set, almost all seemed to have a section set aside to honor the parents.  Well, that's great, except both of his parents are deceased.  Is this common to have a portion of the ceremony set aside to honor the parents?  I'm trying to puzzle out a way to honor his and mine without it blowing up in his face (he started crying when he was reading those vows, because it hit him so hard that he didn't have his parents any longer).
  • Options
    @shaylagirl I don't think we're really doing anything to honor our parents in the ceremony. I haven't seen the draft yet  though, that's next week.
    image 209 Invited
    image 151 Yes
    image 46 No

Daisypath Wedding tickers 

• Options
    We're doing a mix of the "traditional" and "contemporary" church vows. We were given the option to write our own and FH just laughed. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input and insight. We are writing our own (I will cry the whole time) and I think I might share them with my MOH before hand to make sure they make sense. 
  • Options
    I think that we're going to do some combination of traditional vows and writing our own. I'm not exactly sure what that's going to entail yet, however. 

I will only being sharing them with my MOH before hand.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

75 [Invited] 
    43image [Said yes!] 
    16image [Are missing out!]
     16image [Can't find the mailbox] 
    RSVP Date October 01
  • Options
    We are writing our own ceremony and vows. We had a memory box made for the ceremony and on the sides of it are our vows (we each emailed them to the box maker separately) but this made them have to be around the same length. We wrote them separately. I had a few friends read them and let me know what they think. i posted them on here as well (awhile ago). Feel free to post your vows on here if you want several opinions! I will post mine again if you want to see what someone else on our month board is doing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards