Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Please help! very curly hair....no idea what to do

Hello. I was wondering if anyone has hair similar to mine: long, very curly, easily frizzes...you can see it in the photo below. If so, can you share what you did or what you plan to do on your wedding day? Did anyone do....nothing?
I don't have a wedding stylist yet for my September wedding, and don't have anyone who I consider "my" stylist in general, since I feel like very few people understand my hair. After hair cuts or trims, any "styling" anyone does always looks terrible. Too much touching my curls or (god-forbid) brushing results in a seriously scary dandelion-gone-to-seed look! Therefore, I am really hesitant to have anyone do anything the morning of my wedding, and am even scared to fork over the $100 for the hair trial that most area salons want. Therefore the options I am pondering are:

1) get a blow out (takes an hour) and then I can get the nice straight hair put in a normal bridal up-do or something (but we are talking about >$150 for blowout+updo, and another $150 for the trial, gross. Also, FI loves curly hair.)
2) take my normal curly hair, pin half of it up, maybe with a pretty hair clip or something, and call it a day. (Free! but I will look very normal and not fancy)
If it matters, the wedding is small and outdoors, and this is my dress: http://www.bhldn.com/product/idelwild-dress-beige (the "rose" version!) I am leaning towards option #2; is there anyone out there who had "normal" hair on their wedding day? Did anyone say anything? Do you still love your photos? Any options I haven't thought of?
Thanks!!!

Re: Please help! very curly hair....no idea what to do

• I have curls too, but not nearly as long or thick as yours. I am blowing mine out myself and having an updo with curls put back into it to help with the frizz. I had several hair trials though to find a stylist I liked. It was a priority for me, so I budgeted for it.

I'd consider how you feel like yourself when choosing. I understand wanting special hair, but will having straight hair make you and everyone you know feel like you look like someone else? I may not love my photographs if I didn't recognize myself.

If you shop around, you can probably find someone who can handle your curls and do something a bit fancier than everyday hair you can do yourself. Personally, I would want to dry my curls myself though and have them work with just putting the curls in a style. You can warn them not to brush it and that minimum handling is essential, but the trial is so that you and they know what needs to be done. (Also, they can use a curling iron to fix any spots they do handle too much.)

Good luck!
  • rvg22rvg22 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Thank you everyone!!! I got some great ideas from all your suggestions. 

I like the look and headband from your video link, @shefoundadventure ! I think that bride's hair is the closest to mine that I've seen, and a pretty headband would keep back the frizzes that may develop over the day. 

lyntopher , to dry my hair just like I like it, and then go in just for the styling/updo (with plenty of warnings).  I hope I don't have to have too many trials :(  

I know there must be someone within a 30 mile radius who can deal with my hair, I just don't know how to find them. When I call a salon to ask if anyone there knows how to cut/style curly hair, I just KNOW they are envisioning soft waves like this: http://hairstylesweekly.com/images/2012/07/Hairstyles-for-Curly-Hair.jpg that you can brush and style easily and all that. THAT IS NOT CURLY HAIR PEOPLE! Sorry to yell :)  

That is a beautiful lookLiatris2010. Do you think it would look ok if I didn't have the shorter pieces in front? Not sure if I want to get those cut just for my wedding hair. 

Anyways, thank you all again. 
  • Your hair is gorgeous - i would definitely find a way to do something that rocks your curls! 

• Rock the curls!!!! I have short short hair so I didn't have different options on how I wear it. So my stylist just did it like she always does it, just with more product and a little bigger so it wouldn't look flat in the pictures (which it often does in family photos).
  • @rvg22. I'm not sure if you've found a style you like but your hair is beautiful. No need to look fancy, your FI will probably appreciate a natural hairdo.

My mom has hair like yours, when I do her hair, I normally go with something like this and add a band or nice tie.

For the frizziness; I highly recommend the curly sexy curling creme. you get nice bouncy curls with NO frizz.
     http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?skuId=2105950&productId=xlsImpprod4270063&navAction=push&navCount=1&categoryId=cat190008?cmpid=PS_Non!google!Product_Listing_Ads&CAWELAID=1290118313&catargetid=1542185435&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla
  • mcda04, thanks! Always appreciate hair product recommendations. (Esp. from real people, not a stylist/salon who wants to make $$).

I have a hair trial today! I think I am going to try for an updo w/ my natural curls intact. Am bringing in the pictures below for a general idea, even though I know my curls are tighter than in those photos so not sure how this will look. I also might have them try adding a pearl or lace headband to hold back the shorter, frizzy hairs around my hairline that appear sometimes. If it looks non-terrible, I will post the results!  :)
  • mcda04mcda04 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2013
    I think those would look lovely on you. The curling creme is my lifesaver. I have to tame my mane every morning before work and this is the only thing that works without leaving nasty residue.

Here's some pictures of more updo's just in case you need them. You can probably try doing some yourself. (sorry about the spacing)

Edit: removed duplicates.
    imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards