Chit Chat

Homestretch- Being Critical of Fiancée

So there are only three more weeks till my wedding. Plans are fine and I'm not particularly stressed over anything with it.
However, I have found myself to be more critical of my fiancée than usual. He has just taken a new job and I wonder how it will work out with our family's schedule (I am a widow with two kids under five). I find myself noticing how he doesn't like making decisions (but thankfully is very easy going with whatever I decide). I guess, basically, I just often see what we are doing and think "am I ok with things being like this for the rest of my life?"
Is this normal?

Re: Homestretch- Being Critical of Fiancée

• If he isn't making decisions now he won't after you are married.  You have to decide if you are ok with that.  My DH can fall into that category and it drives me fricking insane sometimes to have to be the one to make all the decisions.

Maybe some counseling would be a good idea, especially since you are blending children into this.  I have to admit that I think DH and I are going to talk to someone about this.  It can be EXHAUSTING to have to make all the decisions.
  • I agree it won't change after you are married.  FI is pretty easy going with most stuff, and can't make decisions on somethings.  I've learned after going through some pretty big things like buying a home and renovations, he is good at making decisions with things that matter.  I have realized he may not care what I make for dinner each night, or what we do on the weekend, but the big things that affect us he does have opinions on and will make decisions about.  Is it with everything or just certain items?  I've learned to let go of the fact that he may not care about the smaller items but the big ones he will care about and that's what matters. 

You need to decide if you are ok with how you guys work in this way.

Anniversary

• You have to decide if this is right for you in the long run, that's all. There are things I get irritated with FI but the positive things far outweigh the negative. You have to decide if these things are deal breakers. 
  • hordolhordol member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    I think this is normal. I was a little more critical of DH leading up to the wedding, too. You are about to go through a major life change so it makes sense that you start to over think some of the issues that didn't seem to bother you before.

I agree with PPs that if he's like this now, it's not going to change after you are married so you have to decide if you are prepared to live with it. My husband isn't really into making the day to day decisions, either. Thankfully he is opinionated with the big decisions, though. I think that is a lot more important than whether or not your FI will make a decision about what movie he wants to watch that night. (Although I do understand why it is exhausting and annoying to make all of the little decisions all of the time, but you will just have to decide if that's going to be a big deal for you in the long run.)

ETA fix typos

PitaPata Dog tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards