Getting in Shape

Wedding dress and weight loss

Good morning ladies!!

I was wondering how far out you looked at dresses and how you handled it knowing you would lose weight. I am over weight now and with wedding a year away, I am wondering how long I wait and how to handle it with expecting to lose at least 4 to 5 sizes. My healthy weight for my body is 160. I am over 200.

I am eating right and working out which I have never done for more than a month at a time in my life. I am committed with this weight loss challenge at work and wedding as a motivation.

I know I have a lot of time for the dress... Just wondering how long I should wait. And since its a destination wedding, will that affect alteration times?

Getting Hitches 08/09/2014

Re: Wedding dress and weight loss

• I think you need to ask a couple of dress shops and tailors near you to see when is the latest they can order and do the alterations for you to be able to leave with your dress en route to wedding (they need to know when you are leaving, not wedding date if you're traveling with it.)  It really will depend on their limits on the long run.

In the meantime, you might want to consider a corset back as that will give you a bit more sizing flexibility than some other dresses.

Anniversary
  • I would order your dress in whatever size you are, and have it altered based on your weigh loss. Honestly, I would say in your case, start dress shopping order your dress about 6 months before the wedding, normally they say the lead time on a dress is 8 or more weeks. I think mine was three months. I ended up not taking it in much either. As soon as you get it back, get it in alterations and you should have enough time.
  • Thank you ladies... I am such an over thinker when it comes to this kind of stuff. I will wait a few months (like Nov) and go looking and base off the size I am then. And I will look into corset backs. Thank you!!

Getting Hitches 08/09/2014

• I would find the dress that you want to buy and then ask what the last possible date is to get the dress and have enough time to complete alterations (make sure to mention the DW aspect). I bought my dress about 6 months in advance and lost 2 dress sizes between the time of purchase and alterations. I will admit that my dress ended up being too big, but I blame picking a bad seamstress and the fact that I continued to lose a bit of weight after alterations. It was more important to me to continue my healthy lifestyle than to fit into a dress for one single day of my life.
  • I suggest starting to look for your dress now, talking to steamstresses about alterations, and your weight loss goals.  Depending on the style you choose, you may need to wait to order.

• I've lost 40 pounds and it has only been the difference of 2 sizes, so 4-5 sizes might be overestimating, just to share my experience.  I had lost the majority of the weight before ordering my dress though and ordered based on the size that I was, considering the largest measurement was my bust and that was not getting much smaller.  I hope to go try it on this weekend, as it has arrived 6 weeks earlier than expected, but I won't start fittings yet as our wedding isn't until November
  • I agree you should talk to dress shops you are looking at and see what they say. However, I will let you know that my dress had not yet come in and I ordered it back in February. Most shops I visited warned that dresses (without a rush fee) can take 6-8 months. I have lost 2 dress sizes from when I tried on my dress originally, so I expect to have to get it altered. My consultant has assured me that altering several sizes down is easy.
  • I agree with the PP, I was told it can be altered up to 4 sizes down without changing the look of the dress.  I ordered my dress in late March and it came in 2-3 weeks ago.
  • well i know that a few dress shops will hold off on doing dress alterations so you can be where you want to by the wedding, the few i talked to just asked to get your measurements done at least 2 months ahead of the wedding so they had time. but that way you could pick and purchase your dress before hand but not have to worry about it fitting or not 
  • You always can make something thats too big smaller, but you want to have at least six months for your dress to come in before alterations
  • Just an update that my dress came in about 2 weeks ago, so it took about 6 1/2 months. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards