October 2013 Weddings

Name Change (Ranting)

edited July 2013 in October 2013 Weddings
Okay, so I am going to do it. But out of curiosity, I started looking into what I will have to do officially change my name..... and I knew there was a lot of paperwork... but
there's a LOT of crap that needs to be done!!! 

To make things even more exciting, I will be moving to a new state prior to the wedding - which isn't the state we are getting married in. Sigh.
Looks like the very first place to go if you're going to change your name is your local SSA building to get a new SS card. Without that, you basically can't get anything else changed. But the new card takes like, 10 days to get mailed to you. So to prove your identity, US citizenship, etc, you can use a passport or birth cert when you're changing your name on your DL. (Though apparently in MD you have to wait at least 48 hours because if your name hasn't gone through in the SS database you can't get a new DL....)

Re: Name Change (Ranting)

• In CA you have to have the SS card in order to change your name!  So changing that first, wait for the card and then I can get a new DL.  The tricky part for me is going to be my notary!!!  My commission is up on 3/4/14 and CA requires you take a refresher class in order to obtain the new notary.  I'm not sure there is going to be enough time between everything to change my name with the state to turn around and take the refresher course and get my new commission.  My boss doesn't want to have to notarize for the 4 months. *sigh*  If she would do that it would just make life so much easier!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 84 Invited
    image 68 Yes
    image 16 No
    image 0 Unknown
  • rkborkbo member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    @rustytammy Where in Cali are you located? I am a notary as well and in Cali and could possibly help you out during the 4 months. :) 

• @rhawndas ~ I am in the Sacramento area.  My boss is a notary as well.  She is just being lazy and not wanting to do it.  I'm sure, when push comes to shove, she will but her insistence right now about not doing it is irking me.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 84 Invited
    image 68 Yes
    image 16 No
    image 0 Unknown
  • @rhawndas ~ I was too quick and forgot to say thank you for offering!!!  *sigh*  It's Monday!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 84 Invited
    image 68 Yes
    image 16 No
    image 0 Unknown
  • I keep hoping I'll win the "Hyphenate the last name" discussion we have going on at home.  :p  And I know on the boards at large, it should be what I want, blah-blah-blah, he's pretty dead-set on my last name becoming his.

ANYWHOOOODLES, I knew the SS office was the first stop.  And I'm WELL overdue for a new DL.  The addy on mine is from 2 moves ago.  So, I'm just going to get everything done all at once.  Although, I guess my passport card will have my old name on it, since I'm not paying for a new one, since I've never really used it, and anytime I try to use it as a form of ID, people ask me what it is.

"It's a passport card.  It says it right there on the front."  Geez.

I just don't want to do all the bank accounts, credit cards, and loans and all that other bullshit.  *sigh*
  • rkborkbo member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    @rhawndas ~ I am in the Sacramento area.  My boss is a notary as well.  She is just being lazy and not wanting to do it.  I'm sure, when push comes to shove, she will but her insistence right now about not doing it is irking me.  
    haha, well, I am in SoCal anyways, so unless there was one hell of a trip charge...it wouldn't be feasible anyways. Just borrow her stamp and perfect her signature! haha
  • To be honest, I know I am going to change my name, but I have done zero research into it. It'll happen when it happens.
    This is me... I know that I'm changing mine, but I have no idea exactly what it involves. Lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

75 [Invited] 
    43image [Said yes!] 
    16image [Are missing out!]
     16image [Can't find the mailbox] 
    RSVP Date October 01
  • I've already filled out all of the forms and have them sitting in our safe next to our marriage license application.

• Not looking forward to this process. I'm actually a bit confused as to how long I have to change certain things. Some things will happen early (SS, DL, bank) but some I know can wait. I am graduating in December so I'm still debating if I should (or if I need to) change my name over for school right away. I need to decide if I want my maiden name or my married name on my diploma...
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • @thejucheidea what a great idea!!  I'm doing it...even if that does make me an overachiever! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards