Georgia-Savannah
Options

Catholic beach wedding, where are the few places you can do it?

Hello everybody,

We would like to have a catholic beach wedding. I understand that, especially in the US, the Catholic church does not support that idea. However, I did find a place in Cancun that has a catholic glass chapel on the ocean and the post mentioned that they are a few more places that do it. Does anybody know of any place like this? We are not limited to a certain destination.

As an alternative, I could see myself getting married in a Catholic church near a beach, like in a small beach town or right next to the beach and having the reception at a beach venue. For this, I would like to keep it to the Southeast (Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Alabama). Does anybody know of nice places?

Thank you!

Re: Catholic beach wedding, where are the few places you can do it?

• Options
    Sadly, many Catholic churches require you to be a member of the diocese to be married in their church.  For instance, Tybee Island is a great beach to get married on.  The permit fee for the wedding is only $25.  However, St Micheal's is a member of the diocese of Savannah and requires couples looking to get married there to be a member of the diocese.  
    There are also very few reception venues in GA that are right on the beach.  You may be able to rent a pavilion space, but there are only a few of those, as well.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You could try to find a priest that will do a beach wedding. I've seen it done before my friend IN NY did it!
  • Options
    It's going to be VERY difficult to do this.  The Catholic Church doesn't recognize any marriage that's not performed within the walls of a Catholic Church.

That being said, you can always have your beach ceremony and ask your home Church about doing a Convalidation.  That will give you the wedding you want, and your marriage will be blessed by the Church at a later date, making it "legitimate" in the eyes of the Church.  However, not all Churches will do these so it's best to ask first.  Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards