Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Turkey day with the FILs - what to bring?

So I'm trying to decide what to take to the FILS for Thanksgiving. FI is out of the country and no help with what to take.. he pretty much didn't think I needed to bring anything!  They live about 3 hrs away and I'm going up to their house Wednesday morning so it really can't be a dish for dinner.

I was thinking about making a pie or bringing flowers? Also, I normally would just bring a bottle of wine but they only drink beer. 

Does anyone have any other ideas or thoughts?? TIA!  

Re: Turkey day with the FILs - what to bring?

• gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hmmm - a pie would be a good idea! You could also probably do an app type dip or something for before dinner... not sure if his family does that though (I know my family does! lol) Flowers are also a nice idea!

My BFF can't spend Thanksgiving with her BFs family, so she sent them a thanksgiving themed cookie bouquet! It prob wouldn't be able to get there by tomorrow, but just a random thought! :) 

http://www.cookiesbydesign.com/thanksgiving-day-gifts/give-thanks

• cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think something edible is the best idea - a pie sounds good!  In my family, we live the furthest away so we always try to bring some freshly baked bread from a local bakery - it travels well.  Someone else in our family always brings italian bakery cookies for dessert, so that could be an option if your FILs are short on dessert options.  Sorry I'm not so helpful!
  • edited December 2011
    What about a loaf of pumpkin bread and a bag of flavored coffee for breakfast on Thursday?

I was given the task of rolls this year, but I'm making pumpkin butter to gift with them.  I'm putting it in a glass jar so my MIL can keep it after dinner on Thursday.

Tea towels and a serving dish are always nice gifts too, if your going in more of a gift idea. Kohls has really great serving dishes that are "themed".

Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

• ros3392ros3392 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I always make a sweet potato pie to take to my MIL's. There's also apple cake or apple pie or pumpkin chocolate chip cookies (my favorite!)

GL!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I think apple pie, pumpkin bread, or anything like that is a great idea. Something that can be eaten before, during and after the meal. If you can make it, I think that's better, but if you have to buy it no biggie.

Duq- Please provide the pumpkin butter recipe!
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_turkey-day-fils-bring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:b2f39fed-f796-407c-9320-33027c8b53f4Post:2bed9027-007d-4551-80db-fdc7f551c36b">Re: Turkey day with the FILs - what to bring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I  Duq- Please provide the pumpkin butter recipe!
    Posted by jlbaxter33[/QUOTE]

I've never made it, but hopefully it turns out ok! <a href="http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/pumpkin-butter/Detail.aspx">Here</a> (clicky) is the recipe I'm going to use. I bought jars at Lowes (of all places) last night 4 for $3.50. I'm going to put a ribbon around it as a cute gift. If it goes over well, I'll make more for gifts for my grandmas and co-workers!
    Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

• edited December 2011
    What about something for an appetizer?  (I'm always in charge of the appetizers for holidays!)  Maybe take the items to make a cheese/pepperoni tray?  That would be easy to travel in small cooler.

I know dessert is always taken care of (especially the pumpkin pie!) at my family events, so I make dips for before dinner!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011

A dessert or app sounds good, but I also love things like flowers/plants and tea towels!  I am making a pumpkin ginger tart to take to my parents! H & I had to empty the cabinets last weekend so he could sand them, and I was like oh yeah, I have a bundt pan now, and a tart pan and a....so I decided to look up a recipe and try it!

Crosswalk
  • dbpsu18dbpsu18 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the great suggestions ladies!! I've decided to make a pumpkin loaf which we'll be able to eat for breakfast on thursday.

Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards