Wedding Reception Forum

Weird reception space - the group is split into two rooms but with doors connecting Audubon country

Hi, I am planning my wedding in Louisville and I'm looking at Audobon Country Club. The space is set up so the wedding party and immediate family dine in one room with doors open and connecting it to the other dining room. The coordinator has to,d me there's room for everyone's to migrate to the first room where the dance floor is after dinner. Has anybody been to a wedding here or had an interesting space? Was it awkward? Thanks!

Re: Weird reception space - the group is split into two rooms but with doors connecting Audubon country

• Try the location-based forums for specific advice on the site. 

From the description, I would worry it might keep people from dancing.  I think people often start out hitting the dance floor on a song they love and then stay and dance more....might not happen as easily if they had to get over to another area (even if it isn't far, it's a mental block).  It could also really divide up the group into dancers and "sitters" which I wouldn't enjoy for my own party.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Put the bar in the room with the dance floor. Our wedding had an interesting lay out. The dance floor and some tables were inside a large room that was completely surrounded by a huge wrap-around porch with more table. Tons of double doors that remained open the whole night connected the indoor/outdoor spaces. It was not awkward but we also had open seating so if anyone went outside to use the porch tables, they chose to do it. If we had assigned seating I would have been worried that someone seated outdoors would be offended.
  • Put the bar in the room with the dance floor. Our wedding had an interesting lay out. The dance floor and some tables were inside a large room that was completely surrounded by a huge wrap-around porch with more table. Tons of double doors that remained open the whole night connected the indoor/outdoor spaces. It was not awkward but we also had open seating so if anyone went outside to use the porch tables, they chose to do it. If we had assigned seating I would have been worried that someone seated outdoors would be offended.
    I think you just made me feel better about my venue cause I think it might be the same one. 

Sorry to threadjack, OP! I agree that the first place would be your local board (even if people haven't had a wedding there they've probably been to one), and that if you can manage to get the bar in the same room as the dance floor you won't have any problems at all. I've been to similar setups and it's actually kind of nice to have quiet place to retreat to when you want to like, have a conversation or something. People will figure it out, and they'll still be able to hear when their favorite song comes on even if they're sitting in the non-dancey room.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The most important thing for our wedding venue was to make sure everyone would be in the same room, in view of the couple and the dance floor. I've been to a few weddings where the layout meant you barely saw the bride and groom, never mind all the toasts, cake cutting, etc...or you never bothered to dance because it was a hassle, or you felt slighted sitting way off to the side, or you ended up just off in a corner with a few of your friends because it was just easier that way.

If I were you, I'd really think about how you want people to interact at your wedding. I didn't want the "dancers" totally separate from the "sitters", and I wanted everyone to be able to see the first dance while seated, for example. The overall flow of the party is just as important as having good food and plenty of drinks and seating. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards