Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Cocktails and Gift Cards

I am currently in AL, I am having a cocktail theme bridal shower in WV where I am from. I want it to be fun, so I decided Hors D' oeuvres and cocktails. I didnt want it to be the old fashion chicken salad and tea brunch, bc thats not me. I am asking guest to consider gift cards/shipping due to me flying home. Please keep in mind 120 ppl have been invited and I cant possibly take another suit case to fit everything and shipping would be outrageous. So are gift really that tacky?????

Re: Cocktails and Gift Cards

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    sdough81 said:
    I am currently in AL, I am having a cocktail theme bridal shower in WV where I am from. I want it to be fun, so I decided Hors D' oeuvres and cocktails. I didnt want it to be the old fashion chicken salad and tea brunch, bc thats not me. I am asking guest to consider gift cards/shipping due to me flying home. Please keep in mind 120 ppl have been invited and I cant possibly take another suit case to fit everything and shipping would be outrageous. So are gift really that tacky?????

#1 You shouldn't be hosting your own bridal shower.

#2 You cannot (I repeat CANNOT) dictate what guests buy you for gifts.

You'll have to be prepared to ship items, or return them locally and repurchase in your hometown.

Alternatively, can you cancel your return flight, rent a car, and drive back?

• Options
    Actually, most everything about this seems tacky.
  • Options
    Ditto everything @itzMS said. You invited 120 and people to your shower? You know you have to invite them all to your wedding too right?
  • Options

itzMS said:
    sdough81 said:

#1 You shouldn't be hosting your own bridal shower.

#2 You cannot (I repeat CANNOT) dictate what guests buy you for gifts.

You'll have to be prepared to ship items, or return them locally and repurchase in your hometown.

Alternatively, can you cancel your return flight, rent a car, and drive back?

I agree with all of this. Showers are for boxed gifts only. Anything surrounding gift cards or money is horribly crass and downright rude. When accepting a shower, one accepts the responsibility of transporting the gifts.

On another note, I would like to second the opinion that you should not be throwing your own shower nor inviting anyone to the shower that is not invited to the wedding. If either of those are true, I'm afraid you need to cancel the whole event as it is incredibly rude.
  • Options

I agree with everyone else. I would not think very highly of you if you invited me to your shower. Don't give people a reason to think you're tacky.

• Options
    *sighs really loudly*
  • Options

Yes, requesting gift cards would be really tacky.  Maybe you could register for items that are inexpensive to ship, such as towels, sheets, linens, small picture frames, etc.?  Also, when you go to a FedEx/UPS/USPS store, you will pay a LOT less for shipping than what you are paying when you order something from a store.  The retail stores mark up their shipping fees tremendously, so the shipping on 120 gifts will probably not be as horrific as what you may be imagining.  Unless you receive 120 sewing machines . . .

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards