Attire & Accessories Forum

Tux or Suit?

My groom's original idea was to wear a tux with a vest and tie. My mother told him that was a suit, not a tux, and he and the groomsmen should wear cummerbunds and bow ties.

I poked around online and it seems the main difference between the tux and suit is that the tux incorporates satin on the jacket. It also seems the bow tie and cummerbund isn't required for a tux, but is more traditional. Info found here: http://www.mytuxedocatalog.com/blog/tuxedo-questions-answers-tuxedo-vs-suit-for-a-wedding/

So now my guy is all confused on what he's going to wear. I was wondering what other people have done.

Re: Tux or Suit?

• My groom's original idea was to wear a tux with a vest and tie. My mother told him that was a suit, not a tux, and he and the groomsmen should wear cummerbunds and bow ties.

I poked around online and it seems the main difference between the tux and suit is that the tux incorporates satin on the jacket. It also seems the bow tie and cummerbund isn't required for a tux, but is more traditional. Info found here: http://www.mytuxedocatalog.com/blog/tuxedo-questions-answers-tuxedo-vs-suit-for-a-wedding/

So now my guy is all confused on what he's going to wear. I was wondering what other people have done.

I think cumberbunds are horribly outdated.  You are right about the difference between a tux and a suit.  But, either can be worn with a vest/tie combo, or just a tie.

Tuxedos "etiquette" indicates that tuxes shouldn't be worn for a day or afternoon wedding.  Evening only (after 6pm), but I personally think that's a victimless crime.  But, suits are appropriate for any time of the day.   What does your FI want to wear?  

The positive of a suit, is he can buy a nicely tailored suit for about the same price of a tux rental and it's his forever.   

• Let him wear what he feels best in. Me and FI went shopping together to mix and match his suit and vest.  He loves what he bought and can't wait to wear it so I think thats what really matters.  His GM aren't doing the matchy look, they are just wear whatever black suit/white shirt combo they already have.  Good luck, I'm sure he will look good to you no matter what.
  • I agree with the PP on wearing a vest and tie with either a suit or a tuxedo.  I don't agree that you can buy a nice suit with accessories and alterations for the same thing you can rent for.  Have him pick out what he wants to wear and everybody is happy. 
  • Tell your mother that tuxedo styles have changed 10 or so times in the past 20 years.  There are some really spectacular vest/tie combos that look wonderful when they are coordinated with the bridesmaid dresses.  For a while, men were not even wearing ties with tuxedos, they were wearing banded collar shirts with a large stud over the button.  Then, they started to wear a more traditional looking tie (not bow tie) in satin.  The "after 5PM rule" for tuxedos has also finally died, thank goodness.  Find a look that the groom is comfortable with and that you both like. Why would people want to drive you crazy with "rules"?
  • Just say no to cummerbunds. Might have worked in your mom's day, but not anymore.

I would stick with the black suit - a NICE black suit. It's a no-brainer investment that he'll use for years. 
    *********************************************************************************

• I think a sharp looking suit goes a long way. You can splurge on something nice and fancy which he gets to keep and reuse for other occasions.
  • My FI hates bow ties and cummerbunds and he, like you FI, wants to wear a vest and long tie.  I think grooms can do that along with a tuxedo and that doing so doesn't make it less of a tuxedo.  If you are still iffy, your FI could just buy a nice new suit for the wedding.  
  • What time is your wedding? A tuxedo is formal evening attire, technically speaking, and should not be worn at a morning or afternoon wedding. We got married at 11am, and H wore a light gray three-piece suit.
  • My fiancé is planning on investing in a nice black/dark grey suit and have it tailored.

I agree with other posters that he should go with his gut and stick to his original plan.  It's what he really wants to wear and cumberbunds are über traditional. When I asked my groom what he wanted to wear he referred to cumberbunds as "the fanny pack of tuxedos." 

Hope that helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • He's decided he's going to go in and try all the different options (cummerbund/bowtie, vest/bowtie, etc) and then see what he likes best. 

Thanks for the help, everyone!
  • I would say this - depending on when the wedding is (time of year, climate, etc) a cummerbund is the best option. Frankly, it gives a cleaner line to the tuxedo. I'm wearing my black tuxedo with a cummerbund instead of my vest as it will be hot in New Orleans in mid-september. Neckties with tuxedos look like you don't know what formal attire is. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards