October 2013 Weddings

Using gifts before the wedding

How many of you plan on using gifts you received at your shower or before your shower for those who couldn't make it, before you are married? I am dying to use some I have received from those who are unable to make my shower at the end of August, but have heard it is bad luck to use any before the wedding!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Using gifts before the wedding

• I don't believe all that karma, bad luck shit. We'll be using ours (well once its all cleaned and put away after the shower).

• Nope. Not going to use anything. It will all sit in their respective boxes until we get back from the honeymoon.
  • Nope everything is being put in the spare bedroom and we'll unpack it all the week between the wedding and honeymoon.
  • As we unpack gifts and put them throughout the house, we will use them. I also don't believe in bad luck by using gifts. They were given to us, to use. It's also taking a lot of time to organize and put away/wash/etc. I can't imagine having to do this at a later time. I can't live like that!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• My FI's dad and girlfriend were the first to give any gifts. They bought all of our china and silverware and some pots and pans, a crockpot and a Keurig machine. I wouldn't dream of using our china and silverware before we are married but I've been using the Keurig machine like it's going out of style! I love me some coffee!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have used some of ours.  I have enough wedding things around this house!  The more I can put away the better!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    July 2007 Photobucket
    october 2012 Photobucket
  • Yes, I have been and will be. My cousin sent an early gift from my C&B registry and I have been using those salt and pepper grinders every day, very happily!
  • so i received my first gift in the mail today and it was a plate broken into about 15 pieces.  :( lets just say i wasnt happy! i mean come one macys i'm sure you make enough money to at least pack it in a BOX and not a shipping envelope! end of rant.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We haven't received any gifts yet. And actually, because of my registry stalking, I see that only one thing off our registry has been bought. I have to watch our registries closely because we have a fairly limited amount of items. And I know that my family will probably be all frazzled if there's not enough selection come October. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • joellennitsche let me tell you about Macy's and their crap packaging. So far I've had 3 things broken. How do you not wrap a glass cake dome in bubble wrap!!
  • joellennitsche let me tell you about Macy's and their crap packaging. So far I've had 3 things broken. How do you not wrap a glass cake dome in bubble wrap!!

Yeah!!! Seriously. They obviously make enough money to package things better! I hope nothing else of mine gets broken. But no promises now!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Yeah!!! Seriously. They obviously make enough money to package things better! I hope nothing else of mine gets broken. But no promises now!
    I know for a fact that if they have broken Fiesta ware twice now, my poor china is going to be destroyed upon delivery. Doesn't help that FedEx ripped the box upon delivery of my replacements. 
  • You all have me stressed out about Macy's now!  LOL!  I'm registered there also.  My shower invites haven't gone out yet so I haven't received anything, but I am going to be on the look out for broken stuff.  :-(  I love my dishes, and if I get them, I hope they come in one piece! 

Sorry you all are dealing with broken items.  Hope Macy's takes care of you!  Happy wedding days, ladies!  :-)

• You all have me stressed out about Macy's now!  LOL!  I'm registered there also.  My shower invites haven't gone out yet so I haven't received anything, but I am going to be on the look out for broken stuff.  :-(  I love my dishes, and if I get them, I hope they come in one piece! 

Sorry you all are dealing with broken items.  Hope Macy's takes care of you!  Happy wedding days, ladies!  :-)

i brought it into the store, and the manager was shocked at the condition it was in. she tooks pictures. so lets just hope she persues talking to the macys that sent it! hoping for non broken dishes from now on!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have already received 3 gifts and I have been using our new wine cooler since we got it LOL

We also got a duvet and some amazing sheets but I haven't opened them up yet.

I don't think it matters if you use it before the wedding :)

Wow I hope you ladies have better luck with your deliveries from here on out!!!! I would be so mad if I got stuff that was delivered broken! My registry is at home outfitters and they call me when I have items from my registry to pick up so I don't have to worry about it coming in the mail.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My gifts from Macy's have all been shipped with incredible (sometimes excessive!) packing and nothing has been broken.  I hope it continues that way.  Sorry some of you have had bad experiences.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards