Wedding Woes

Started Watching Orphan Black

It's interesting.  The story line is a bit slow to get start, but after about episode 3, I just kept going.

IDK if BBC shows can get Emmy nominations, but the lead actress is flat out amazing.  So far, she's playing 3-4 regular characters (Sarah masquerading as Beth, Alison, Carmisa; not-regs: Beth, the Russian, the German).  The thing is, each character is completely infused with their own body language, accents and personality.  Granted, they can do a lot with the hair and clothes and they do, but it's the actress that is just killing it.  Honestly, I have absolutely no problems telling each character apart at all.

Basically Sarah, who is not a very good at being a person, finds a woman who looks exactly like her, minutes before that woman commits suicide.  Since Sarah isn't a very good person, she lifts that woman's bag, discovers Elizabeth Childs, and infiltrates Beth's life.  In doing so, she discovers that Beth was ac cop, has a HOT boyfriend and is part of a ring of Orphans that are all genetically identical and are trying to find out where they came from.  It takes off from there.  The surrounding characters are very good as well.

I recommend.  It's nice in that it is a science fiction show, but it doesn't rely on aliens or zombies or vampires or flashy tricks.  It's very "human dealing with technology problems".  Reminds me of something Isaac Asmiov would've written.

Re: Started Watching Orphan Black

• She did not get the Emmy nomination.  And if you think she's amazing playing all of those characters, just wait until they have to impersonate each other for one reason or another, and you see little slips into their normal personas.  I wasn't even convinced acting was really a thing before that show.
  • Oh yeah, when Alison had to do Sarah, I was floored.  And it was barely a good Sarah, so you never really believed it, but it was good enough to fake out others.

Can a BBC show even qualify?  I knew she didn't, I just didn't know if she ever could.  Of course, it's a sci-fi show, so it can't get recognition.  It'll have to be on for ten years, be cancelled and then it'll get nominated (I might still be irritated about ST: TNG).

• I love how, no matter how long Sarah spends as Beth, there are always a few words that she consistently pronounces in the British way.
  • DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    I think the Brits have their own version of the Emmys. Like BAFTA instead of OSCAR, right?

Still, I'm intrigued. Does this stream somewhere?

• DG, it's on Amazon, but it's paid for now.  I suspect Season 1 will show up on Netflix/Prime halfway through Season 2, that's how they did Scandal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards