October 2013 Weddings

Ceremony decoration ideas

Hi ladies,

We decided early on in our planning not to decorate our ceremony site, as it is outdoors and we were going with "less is more". Now I am second guessing that decision and would love to hear your ideas on how to decorate our venue. Keep in mind that our wedding will be in October, so the leaves will be green and the trees will be full. There will also be heavy white blankets on the seating logs. I would love to hear your opinions on what I could do to decorate this space. I diy'ed our flowers, so calling our florist and asking for an arrangement is not an option. Thanks in advance, I can't wait to hear your thoughts!

imageimageimage
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ceremony decoration ideas

• Where is the ceremony? (Like, what state?) I only ask because I am confused why the leaves will be green in October. 

I think it looks fine, and you don't need to decorate it. Use the natural beauty as your decorations.
  • I always love the look of flower petals lining the aisle, if we were allowed to do it at our church I would! I agree you don't need a ton of extra decorations with this beautiful site though :) perhaps you could also do flowers on stands or hanging from garden hooks where the aisle begins and/or at every other bench? Again, not that it needs it, just throwing ideas out there!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think It is gorgeous already! Only thing I could suggest you be maybe a couple large tin buckets filled with babies breath. Simple but adds a little something. Other then that I love the natural surroundings!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with lp. I wouldn't do anything and that way you don't have to have the additional stress of set up and take down. People tend to forget about take down.
    There's a reason I crossed out pretty much all ceremony decor except the aisle runner & the candle "screens" provided by the church... which will be all set up prior to the guests arriving.
  • edited July 2013

Where is the ceremony? (Like, what state?) I only ask because I am confused why the leaves will be green in October.

Umm, I'm an idiot and don't know why I said green. I meant to say that there will be leaves on the trees, but colorful, not green. Wedding overload on the brain.... And to answer your question, Illinois.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Where is the ceremony? (Like, what state?) I only ask because I am confused why the leaves will be green in October.

Umm, I'm an idiot and don't know why I said green. I meant to say that there will be leaves on the trees, but colorful, not green. Wedding overload on the brain.... And to answer your question, Illinois.
    Hmm. Won't it be kind of chilly in October? Scrap decorations all together, put the blankets on the logs and maybe get some inexpensive blankets for guests to put over their shoulders?
  •  
    Hmm. Won't it be kind of chilly in October? Scrap decorations all together, put the blankets on the logs and maybe get some inexpensive blankets for guests to put over their shoulders?
    Totally worried about this as well, with our crazy Illinois weather. We purposely picked October because we didn't want an outdoor wedding in July with 110 degree heat. Generally the first week in October would be in the upper 60's, lower 70's. This past week (in July) it has been getting down in the 50's at night. Definately not a typical weather year, so who knows what it will be doing then. We have an indoor chapel reserved as a bad weather back up. Hopefully we will get lucky with the weather.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you for all of the thoughts everyone. You have validated my decision that it is okay to not have decor here. I began overthinking this but am now going to put my focus back enjoying the last couple of months of being engaged :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love the natural setting!!  We are getting married at a winery, small boutique style, and I'm not using any decorations other than an aisle runner.  Why try to "pretty up" a spot that is already naturally beautiful?

I'm worried about the weather as well.  We are getting married later in the day and the coastal area can get chilly!!  I've started thinking how to keep everyone warm if it gets really cold.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 84 Invited
    image 68 Yes
    image 16 No
    image 0 Unknown
  • I'm in IL too, and OP is spot on. We picked an indoor venue because here in October it could be snowing, or 90 degrees... Won't really know which until probably the week of!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Nicole0613Nicole0613 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2013
    i'm using tins with babies breath to line my church aisle. It's simple, but definitely adds a little something. We have some outdoor areas during our cocktail hour and reception. Our venue is putting out heaters to use just incase. 
  • You don't need anything else; you have a gorgeous natural setting.  Wow, that's going to be a beautiful wedding!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree - I don't think you need anything else!!! It's beautiful. Our tentative plan is to get married on the beach (if snowing or 'hurricaning' as it has in the past two years - we have a backup). But if it does happen on the beach - I'm not going to have decorations as I think that the natural surroundings are beautiful enough.

I can't wait to see pictures of yours! I'm just envisioning the fall colors in that setting!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Your ceremony site looks very similar to ours and I am going very minimal in the decorations.  I will have an aisle runner (really cheap on Amazon) and on the side of every bench, I am putting luminary bags with LED candles in them.  I found some cute fall ones on Oriental Trading if you are doing the fall theme.  Other then that, I think the site looks great and doesn't need much else. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

148 Invited
    image 125 Are ready to party
    image 23 Are no fun!
    image 0 Haven't found the mailbox yet
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards