Registry and Gift Forum

Best registry sites for breaking up costs of big-ticket items (group gift giving)

I AM going to register at some traditional places, perhaps Macy's or Bloomies and BBB, but I'd ALSO like a registry on which I can feature some bigger ticket items to which people can contribute a portion of the cost. (Yes, I know many people find this tacky but many younger people get it and want to give something useful. I honestly don't need tons of stuff for my home and don't want to register for stuff I don't need; I am not looking for opinions on etiquette here, just looking for site recommendations :)
So, the question is which sites are great for featuring a variety of items? (Not interested in the sites just for honeymoons). I want a site on which you post a picture of big ticket items like a couch I want, or a Dyson vacuum, a fancy juicer, a nice camera, or some Honeymoon experiences like "Dinner for Two, and then dividing up the total cost into smaller portions more along the lines of what individual guests can afford. I know Simple Registry has that feature but I recall seeing other sites, including one that made the gift like a pie when you click on it, and you can purchase a piece of the pie (ie couch). Any recommendations/reviews of sites that people have used that have this feature? 

Re: Best registry sites for breaking up costs of big-ticket items (group gift giving)

• I AM going to register at some traditional places, perhaps Macy's or Bloomies and BBB, but I'd ALSO like a registry on which I can feature some bigger ticket items to which people can contribute a portion of the cost. (Yes, I know many people find this tacky but many younger people get it and want to give something useful. I honestly don't need tons of stuff for my home and don't want to register for stuff I don't need; I am not looking for opinions on etiquette here, just looking for site recommendations :)
    So, the question is which sites are great for featuring a variety of items? (Not interested in the sites just for honeymoons). I want a site on which you post a picture of big ticket items like a couch I want, or a Dyson vacuum, a fancy juicer, a nice camera, or some Honeymoon experiences like "Dinner for Two, and then dividing up the total cost into smaller portions more along the lines of what individual guests can afford. I know Simple Registry has that feature but I recall seeing other sites, including one that made the gift like a pie when you click on it, and you can purchase a piece of the pie (ie couch). Any recommendations/reviews of sites that people have used that have this feature? 
    If you want to add the Dyson or the fancy juicer, put it on your regular registry.  Guests that are interested in going in on a larger item will do it on their own.  If they can't find anyone to join, they will give you a gift card to the store.  

Those websites that ask people to "contribute funds toward a gift" are simply money registries.  Although you don't seem to mind being terribly greedy and rude to your guests, they also have major problems in that they lie to your guests (which probably also doesn't bother you), charge guests fees (again, I doubt you care) and they take a portion of your money.  
  • I agree. Add the items you want to your registry but it is incredibly rude to ask for money in such a way. People aren't stupid. They know how to go in on gifts without your assistance. My coworkers did that for my shower this weekend just fine.
  • I AM going to register at some traditional places, perhaps Macy's or Bloomies and BBB, but I'd ALSO like a registry on which I can feature some bigger ticket items to which people can contribute a portion of the cost. (Yes, I know many people find this tacky but many younger people get it and want to give something useful. I honestly don't need tons of stuff for my home and don't want to register for stuff I don't need; I am not looking for opinions on etiquette here, just looking for site recommendations :)

Just put the big ticket items on your registry. If they wish to go in on the gift together they'll do so.

The issue with some sites is that they charge your guests a fee for paying with a credit card. Essentially you're paying more for the item and that's what bugs some people.

• You'd be surprised on what people will buy you. Just put it on your regular registry and if someone wants to go in as a group and get it they can, if not then you'll get plenty of cash at the wedding to buy it yourself. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards