Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Typical Servings - Cupcakes

My fiance and I's plan is to have a small wedding cake (probably a small two tier wedding cake) on top of some sort of cupcake display. We've decided to go with red velvet and lemon. Our maximum guest list is capped at 150, right now we have about 120 people on the list to be invited. If we end up inviting 150 people and say all of those 150 come, how many cupcakes do you feel would be appropriate for everyone? If you went to a wedding that had a setup like this, would you want one of each flavor thus expect there to be 150 red velvet and 150 lemon so you can have one of each? Would you order extra say 200 of each just in case?

Also, would you prefer to eat a cupcake or a slice of cake? We are trying to figure out if we want to do a small cake on top of a cupcake tier or have a small cake for cutting then just have sheet cake for guests?

Thank you for your suggestions, in advance!

Re: Typical Servings - Cupcakes

• Plan for people to have AT LEAST two cupcakes, so maybe 3 per person to be safe.    You also want to make sure the quality of the sheet cake is the same as the cake you're cutting as well.

Personally I prefer cakes at weddings, but I'm providing both cake and  cupcakes.

Also: kudos on your flavor choices!   Two of my faves.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you want to have a cake cutting of a traditional cake, I would serve your guests sheet cake instead of cupcakes.  I think it's weird when the couple wants the show of the cake cutting but the trendiness of the cupcakes.  Those flavors sound more appealing to me as cake slices, too.  
  • I'd prefer a slice of cake. Easier to eat with a fork.

• Thank you all for your suggestions.

I was leaning more towards the sheet cakes, but didn't know if that or cupcakes would be easier. I don't want a HUGE cake which is why we were leaning more towards a small cake for us to cut and then just a sheet cake/cupcakes for the guests to eat. I definitely see your points about the cupcakes and think we'll do a sheet cake. I also will have the baker make the sheet cakes the same as the cake we'll be cutting.

Would you still do like one slice of cake in each flavor per guest?

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards