New Jersey - South

Marriage License Questions

FI and I are getting married on October 26 either in Ocean City (Cape May County) or Somers Point (Atlantic County) dependent upon the weather.  I'm getting a bit confused by the wording on the NJ vital statistics website that provides guidance on getting married in NJ - this could turn out to be a long post - but any help would be greatly appreciated!

1) Since there is the potential of us getting married in two counties (weather dependent) do we have to apply for a license in each?

2) Waiting period confuses me.  We were planning on going up over Labor Day to apply for the license - however, I've read that the license is good for 30 days after it is issued - which would exceed the amount of days between when we apply and when we marry.  But then I also see the marriage license application is valid for six months from the date accepted. Or do the base it off of the "Intended Date of Ceremony"?

3) Did you need to have your birth certificate? I know that it says it is recommended - but I have found with some government documents "recommended" really means required...

4) Lastly, a friend of ours has been ordained online and he was going to marry us - I know that it says every minister of every religion, but I just want to make sure that includes the online ordained officiants - as I don't really see that as being a "religion"...

Thanks for ANY help!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Marriage License Questions

• The only one I know the answer to off the top of my head is your second question. When you apply for a license, you tell them what date you want them to issue it. We applied for our license about 2 months ahead of time, and had ours issued 7 days before the wedding, but it was technically good for 30 days. Someone (not even you or your fi) just has to pick it up when they issue it. The 6 months they're talking about is how long you have between the date you apply and the date you ask them to issue it for.

So...You go apply, and ask them to issue it any time between the end of the waiting period (I think 3 days after you apply?) and 6 months from the day you apply. Once it's issued, you go back and pick it up, at which point it's valid to be used any time for the next 30 days.

Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • They changed the marriage license law since I got mine, so for question 1, I would recommend calling the clerk in either Ocean City or Somer's Point and explain the situation.  They should be able to advise you properly.

I would bring your brith certificate just to be sure.  H & I had all our necessary materials and the clerk looked at them all.  So it may depend where you go.

Lastly, I would ask the clerk about your online ordained friend.  Some states/counties do not allowed online ordained ministers.  So it's best to just ask while you are inquiring about the county marriage license.

• @krizzo17 and @oliveoilsmom - thanks a bunch! I'm definitely going to reach out to the counties :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 1) I may have missed this but do you and/or your FI live in NJ? If so, you should be applying for your marriage license in the town in which you live, not where you're getting married. 

2) I'm actually not sure how this works. 

3) The clerk we met with took both of our birth certificates so I would bring them. 

4) I'm not sure about this one either. 

• I called ocean city clerk's office - see helpful! Thanks everyone!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards