Wedding Party

Alternatives

I need some alternatives to the traditional wedding terms. I hate 'wedding reception' 'bridesmaid' and 'groomsmen'....so boring. We are using 'partner in crime' in place of MOH and best man. To give you an idea where this is going, our invitations look like band flyers and we will be having a dance and I live metal show from a local band ;)
ALL SUGGESTIONS WELCOME! :)

Re: Alternatives

• To me, 'partner in crime' could mean your romantic partner, so that could be tricky. But I don't understand what's wrong with the standard terms. Everyone knows what they mean. Using others could get confusing. But why not simply 'attendants' in place of BM/GM?
  • I don't like "partner in crime."  Some people might take it too literally, and it's just not cute.
  • I need some alternatives to the traditional wedding terms. I hate 'wedding reception' 'bridesmaid' and 'groomsmen'....so boring. We are using 'partner in crime' in place of MOH and best man. To give you an idea where this is going, our invitations look like band flyers and we will be having a dance and I live metal show from a local band ;)
    I would just use attendants.  Be prepared for some of the older folks attending your wedding to leave early.  I'm in my low 30s and I would not stay to listen to a metal band all evening.  I would probably leave right after dinner.  I'm sure anyone who doesn't like metal and your older guests will leave very early.  As soon as you start inviting other people to your wedding, you need to remember the comfort of all your guests. It no longer is just about the B&G, but everyone else that is invited too.
  • I need some alternatives to the traditional wedding terms. I hate 'wedding reception' 'bridesmaid' and 'groomsmen'....so boring. We are using 'partner in crime' in place of MOH and best man. To give you an idea where this is going, our invitations look like band flyers and we will be having a dance and I live metal show from a local band ;)
    I would just use attendants.  Be prepared for some of the older folks attending your wedding to leave early.  I'm in my low 30s and I would not stay to listen to a metal band all evening.  I would probably leave right after dinner.  I'm sure anyone who doesn't like metal and your older guests will leave very early.  As soon as you start inviting other people to your wedding, you need to remember the comfort of all your guests. It no longer is just about the B&G, but everyone else that is invited too.

This. I would leave also....and you may find that many of your family will.
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have warned people of the band which is the closing actof the evening. The way we see it its our wedding and if you don't like it leave. Its our day.
  • It stops being "your day" when you invite people to share it with you.
    Uh, yeah. You have a responsibility to treat your guests well, which does not mean subjecting them to loud music that is not to their taste.
  • I agree with using "attendant" to keep it simple. If you don't like reception, maybe "celebration." Ditto PPs comments about considering your guests though, as a general rule.
  • Everyone will have a great time because not one person beung invited is uppity snots like you people.
    Rules are ment to be broken, and wedding ettique are rules set back from the 1700's that you still feel the need to follow. I don't nor will I refer to a friend as my 'maid'.
  • Everyone will have a great time because not one person beung invited is uppity snots like you people. Rules are ment to be broken, and wedding ettique are rules set back from the 1700's that you still feel the need to follow. I don't nor will I refer to a friend as my 'maid'.

So Great Aunt Gertrude is a secret metal head?  Seriously, 100% of your guest list loves metal music? There is a reason etiquette hasn't changed all that much, and it's because it makes you a good hostess.  Have your metal band, I don't care, but I was trying to give you a point of view that maybe one of your family members is too afraid to tell you to your face because they don't want to hurt your feelings.

And if you think the idea of having "maids" is so archaic, why are you having them at all?  Besides, we gave you alternative titles, you just didn't like them.  That's not our problem.

• I would seriously reconsider playing metal all night unless everyone or nearly everyone you are inviting is 100% going to enjoy it.  If I went to a wedding and that's what was playing, I would certainly leave after dinner if not before, depending on how close I was to the couple.  Making it your own is a good thing, as long as it isn't to the detriment of being a good host.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Everyone will have a great time because not one person beung invited is uppity snots like you people. Rules are ment to be broken, and wedding ettique are rules set back from the 1700's that you still feel the need to follow. I don't nor will I refer to a friend as my 'maid'.

You are aware that having 'maids' has nothing to do with etiquette and everything to do with tradition, which are two entirely different things.

Etiquette = doing things as a host that ensure that your guests are comfortable, well fed/watered and have a good time.

Tradition = doing things because they've always been done.

Tradition also does not always equal good i.e. head tables without SOs, this is bad, you should never separate couples.

• @tristins_mommy

I wish I could help you, but I can't think if anything right now.

I'm not saying you should leave or anything similar to that. I just think your question would be better recieved at offbeat bride, wedding bee, or even wedding wire.

I wish you the best of luck with your wedding planning.
    Do you even know what maid means?  And ettique, really? 

• MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    We have warned people of the band which is the closing actof the evening. The way we see it its our wedding and if you don't like it leave. Its our day.

If you are this self centered, you are still too immature to get married.  Marriage is for adults that are mature enough to care about their family and friends.  

Anniversary

• The way we see it its our wedding and if you don't like it leave. Its our day.
    Why invite anyone at all then? If it's your day, have it be your day. If you don't care about your guests, go to the courthouse.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Rules are there because they regulate social behavior and keep people from being rude and allow them to treat others well.

If you think we're uppity snots, then you have no business posting in this forum.  If you want your wedding to be only about you and your FI, then you need to have no one else there or involved at all besides your officiant.  As soon as you involve any other person in any capacity, it is no longer only about you and your FI-and you need to give the needs of others higher priority.
  • The way we see it its our wedding and if you don't like it leave. Its our day.
    Why invite anyone at all then? If it's your day, have it be your day. If you don't care about your guests, go to the courthouse.
    This. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Ok YOU know nothing about me, my life or my family. I have never seen a board so full of people who think they are better than the rest.

We will enjoy our wedding, our guests will enjoy themselves and none of you will be there!

Oh and FYI in case someone reading this is looking for the same answers as myself; might I suggest going with "Wedding Posse" instead of wedding party ;)
  • Ok YOU know nothing about me, my life or my family. I have never seen a board so full of people who think they are better than the rest.

We will enjoy our wedding, our guests will enjoy themselves and none of you will be there!

Oh and FYI in case someone reading this is looking for the same answers as myself; might I suggest going with "Wedding Posse" instead of wedding party ;)
    This is supposed to impress us?

All we're thinking is that you're the biggest bridezilla except for the OP in this thread:

http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/993354/i-m-not-going-to-sacrifice-my-experience-for-the-sake-of-being-polite-bridalrights#latest

Sorry, but the fact that you are one of the two people getting married doesn't make it YOUR day.  It belongs to everyone present and involved-and they are 1) not going to be as excited as you are and 2) still need to be hosted and treated properly, not as slaves or flunkies.

Delayed reaction much?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sorry, I have a life outside the internet
  • You could call your reception a party. People are not nearly as dense as some would like to believe, I think they'll get what you're getting at.

http://tem.kontek.net/Pictures/GIF/BabbyTantrum.gif

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• 'Murica.....nuff said
  • 'Murica.....nuff said

What the hell does that mean?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards